What would you charge for this pic?

eurotrash

So my cousin works at a
Bereavement Coordinator at a
hospice company and wants to purchase several photos from me. She is looking for Clouds, flowers and sunsets, obviously to elevate mood. Now, she is interested in something like this, not necissarily this particular shot. But I'm at the point where I'm wondering what to charge. I don't want to rip her off, but I suppose I don't really know what my shots are worth, if anything :distant:
What do you think for a 11x14 unframed?

pic in question:
SunsetBurkeLake.jpg

She would also be my first non-commercial customer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

If this was printed out on photo paper and turned out perfect, I'd charge at LEAST $50. If it was framed it would be a lot more......around the $150 mark.

eurotrash

So I've heard that "people will pay what you believe the photo is worth". But I have an issue with this. If I take a photo of my dogs poop, and I charge $400, do you think people would buy it? Probably not. How do you more accurately judge this? Do you just take a guess based on quality, image composition and other factors pertaining? Or take a shot in the dark assuming that one WOULD actually pay what you ask?

see, i've only ever sold things digitally. I've never gotten a request to ship a whole photo with or without a frame before. So where to buy frames/types of frames/etc is all new to me. I've printed before at stores, but never very seriously. I just experimented to see how they would turn out..

Last edited by a moderator:

pedroj

So I've heard that "people will pay what you believe the photo is worth". But I have an issue with this. If I take a photo of my dogs poop, and I charge $400, do you think people would buy it? Probably not. How do you more accurately judge this? Do you just take a guess based on quality, image composition and other factors pertaining? Or take a shot in the dark assuming that one WOULD actually pay what you ask?

I charge what I am happy to receive for an image and really if the buyer doesn't like the price "bad luck"

Rick M

If you are selling to a business is she not a commercial customer? I would start low around $40-50 to generate a fan base unless you already have one (we don't count :))

eurotrash

Aww, too kind :) I really don't have much of a fanbase, one that would pay money for my photos per se.
Actually she just contacted me and basically said the cheque was coming from her business, so technically, it IS a business that's purchasing the prints.

I've even offered free photos to businesses to help me build a portfolio though I've not heard anything back for some reason... I don't understand how to market lol.

eurotrash

I simply would email a picture to the buyer in full size with no watermark. They accepted a contract which states what is being sold and they aquire full rights if they payed me a bit more if they planned on using it for different things.

ohkphoto

Snow White
they aquire full rights if they payed me a bit more if they planned on using it for different things.

Can you give us an example of what you charge for this? And when you say "full rights", are you talking about selling your copyright?

Just-Clayton

I wasn't too sure what prices to put on my prints either. I started showing 4x6 prints of landmarks in my area. The locals said they would make great postcards. I had seven images made up and started selling them for 25 cents each to my local businesses. To me that was my advertisement. Within the last few months people wanted enlargements. Then the pricing got tricky. I ordered 5x7 and 8x10 print matting. So far I sell my plain 5x7 prints for $10, 8x10 $20, Matted 5x7 $20, and matted 8x10 $40. Thats just for local pics. Just to get my name out there. Right now I have three framed pics at a local gallery for $65 each. I sold a couple 8x10 matted last month and the woman said im selling too low. I guess it depends on who's buying.

eurotrash

Can you give us an example of what you charge for this? And when you say "full rights", are you talking about selling your copyright?

Ok, now I feel like I'm on a job interview :p
If the company wanted the the right to use it however they pleased, such as a magazine that was being sold then I tack on another 100-250 dollars depending on how I felt about the picture.

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
depending on how I felt about the picture.

So you're basically using a "rights manage licensing". You might want to consider using Fotoquote . . . (Photoshelter has it built in to their pricing plans) They've done a lot of research based on use and regions.

Selling a print is just that. They get the print for $50 which is a fair and reasonable price. They don't get any license to use it unless they purchase it. Those are two different products.

Dave Hamilton

Hospice is a great organization. I would charge them the amount it costs you to frame them, and give them the print signed so your work is displayed. It works to both of your advantage. They get prints cheaper, so they can buy more prints. You get a lot of work displayed in a place where your prints will provide comfort for those going through a very hard time. This is the type of situation where what you give will eventually come back to....and more!!!