Clothesline

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Another example from the Ed Heaton workshop. I purposely went with a large aperture trying to create a bokeh effect. That worked well but the day was becoming overcast and I think that the image might be a bit dark. With not much of a color difference between the focal point and background, should I lighten up the entire image?

EXIF: D300, Nikkor 17-55 @ 55mm, 1/1000s, f/2.8, ISO 200

(The rest of the workshop images are in this Gallery.)

Clothesline.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Not sure about the lightening of the whole image Eduard. I think it conveys well the overcast day. Makes it more meaningful that the clothesline is empty. I might just warm the color temperature though… or not.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Not sure about the lightening of the whole image Eduard. I think it conveys well the overcast day. Makes it more meaningful that the clothesline is empty. I might just warm the color temperature though… or not.

Excellent recommendation Marcel and one I wouldn't have thought to try. So something like this?

Clothesline_warm.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Excellent recommendation Marcel and one I wouldn't have thought to try. So something like this?

Maybe that's too much. How about in between. Anyway, you'll be the judge. I kind of like the darkish mood of the first one but like the color balance of this one better...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I did go over the top to see how it would look. Thanks for the recommendation as it gave me an avenue to explore.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope you won't mind me showing you my preference. That's all it is, my preference.

Clothesline.jpg

westmill

Banned
My cut on this pic would have been something like this. One of the things I do when looking at a pic
or scene, is ask myself if the colour is important or adds anything to the pic. Otherwise it's a distraction.
I kept the surrounding highlights because they emphasize the peg. I then just concentrated on the peg alone, which seems the most important element.
View attachment 10737

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

I gotta say I like all of the different versions presented, including the B&W, they all offer a different "feel". Very interesting shot

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My cut on this pic would have been some thing like this. One of the things I do when looking at a pic
or scene, is ask myself if the colour is important or adds anything to the pic. Otherwise its a distraction.
I kept the surrounding highlights because they emphersize the peg. I then just concentrated on the peg alone.
which seems the most important element.
View attachment 10737

Another great observation. Gonna have to play around a bit more with this image.