Wedding shoot

Kevin C

Although I'm not the official photographer, my cousin is getting married in July and I thought it would be a great opportunity to shoot my first wedding. I have my kit lens 18-55 mm I thought would be good for family shots at the reception and my 55-300 mm for the ceremony and to get some good he video from. Does anyone have any other suggestions on lenses or advice for shooting my first wedding? Obviously I will not interfere with the hired photographer but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

fotojack

Get yourself a 50 1.8 or even a 35 1.8. Great for closeups and indoor shooting. Both very sharp primes. You might also consider the 18-105 VR lens. Great general all around lens.

Kevin C

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations fotojack. So which lens would be better the 50mm or 35mm?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For a wedding, if you want to stay out of the way for the hired photographer, I'd go with the 50 if I was in your shoes.

ohkphoto

Snow White
. . . and if you're shooting them outside, make sure you use fill flash or you'll have "raccoon eyes" - - - not very flattering for brides. I assume that you 'll be using flash inside.

Kevin C

It will be at The Castaway in Burbank, CA and I know it has both indoor and outdoor settings. Should I use my SB-910 or would the on camera flash work well enough?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have a lot to learn...

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I would use the 910. You can tilt the head to hopefully get some nice bounced light instead of the direct (often harsh) light from the on-camera flash. Also read up on adjusting the flash output (EV), + or -, on both the on-camera and 910 flash.

fotojack

I would use the 910. You can tilt the head to hopefully get some nice bounced light instead of the direct (often harsh) light from the on-camera flash. Also read up on adjusting the flash output (EV), + or -, on both the on-camera and 910 flash.

I believe your 910 came with a diffuser. I'd use that, too, if you're going to point the flash directly at the bride or couple. As for the EV, I'd use about 1/8th power. You definitely don't want to use full power with the 910! It would be too much. Grab your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/pet and go outside and shoot a few practice shots to see what power of the flash best suits your shooting style. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
As for the EV, I'd use about 1/8th power.

Actually, that would be in manual mode, which you don't want to use, at least I don't. Set the 910 on TTL and BL and make the minor/fine tune adjustments directly on the flash via the button (+EV or -EV) if you need it. Nikon's Creative Lighting System does a great job in TTL mode . . . no reason to set the 910 on manual.

fotojack

Actually, that would be in manual mode, which you don't want to use, at least I don't. Set the 910 on TTL and BL and make the minor/fine tune adjustments directly on the flash via the button (+EV or -EV) if you need it. Nikon's Creative Lighting System does a great job in TTL mode . . . no reason to set the 910 on manual.

Oh Jeez, that's right! My bad. Listen to Helene. She corrected me, and she's absolutely right. :) I WAS thinking manual mode. :apologetic: