The Early Bird

DW_

I am experimenting with color and balance. My attempt is not to have a perfect static balance but rather a tensive balance of both form and color. My question is whether or not this is translated to the viewer.

D7k; 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G; ISO 400; f/10 @ 1/250 sec

20120325-_1DW6951-sm.jpg

Image created 3-25-12

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well, I like the photo, it has good composition and the background colors really accentuate the bird. I would like to see a sample photo of Static balance of form and color and one of tensive balance. I'm not sure how these terms apply.

Eye-level

Banned
There are three essential elements of photography...shape, tone, and color. When these are combined they produce three more qualities...pattern, texture, and form. Form is probably the hardest part of it all to reconcile when making a photograph. Tone describes the form and gives it a sense of space... a 3d quality if you will. Color tends to be a thing that is relational as in how one color relates to the color beside it and it is an element that describes the picture in the strongest fashion really. And light rules all of this in the camera world.

What I don't understand completely about this picture are the terms "tensive" balance as opposed to "static" balance which you speak of...color can indeed give rise to form but a balance between the two???

It is a very good snap btw!

Last edited:

DW_

An example of static balance is, say, an image of a bird on a pedestal smack dab in the middle of the frame. The composition is certainly balanced but going nowhere and without any potential for movement and is quite boring. I would call this "static balance". In the other extreme you can place the bird in the far left or far right without a any obvious reason, the image would be awkward and out of balance. If however, you place elements about a the fulcrum point so that they appear ever so slightly out of balance either one way or the other you create a tension and it is thru this tension that you obtain a type of implied dynamic balance, or tensive balance, if you will. In some cases of tensive balance there is an implied movement or future movement in this type of balance. Like a spring wound tight but much more subtle.

Here's an extreme example, say you had two kids on a teeter totter and the frame is centered at the fulcrum of the teeter totter and the two kids are perfectly horizontal. This is what I would call static balance. Everything about the image is in perfectly balance and totally equalized. Then say you have this exact same image however on one side or the other a child is about to jump off. The image still retains the original balance due to both sides being equal however there is an implied dynamic or tension in this balance due to the fact that the one child will go crashing to the ground while the opposite side of the teeter totter will shoot straight up. This is an extreme example and may be way out in left field but I see this kind of dynamic in photos that I admire. Whether or not the photographers would express it in the manner I am, who knows. Better yet, whether this exists anywhere other than in my head, that's another question I cannot answer. ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm sorry I offended you. It certainly was not my intention.
I hope you will accept my apology.

Marcel

Last edited:

DW_

I think it changes the entire composition completely and I don't care for it. It's okay if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you and I want you to feel free to express that if you choose in words but it's not cool to completely change the work. Honestly, if I wanted the image to look this way I certainly would have presented it this way. I didn't ask that anyone alter this image to suit themselves, I simply asked whether or not a viewer feels its form and color appear balanced. Please don't do this kind of thing to my images, it's a really uncalled for and a little insulting.

Eye-level

Banned
OK now I see what you are saying...the balance of forms is indeed tensive and the device works well...especially with a bird on a limb...you just know he is fixing to blast off again...so please explain the color part of it. Do you mean a sort of tension between the orangish background and the yellow leaves? That is what I see at least and I suppose it is somewhat tensive now that I think about it...