the power of water

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just wondering if you feel this photo conveys the power of water. This was taken at night and there were many colored lights reflecting different casts on the water. This is why I went with sepia.

rivière sepia.jpg

exif: D7000, 55 1.2 manual focus @ f4, 2.5 sec. iso 1250. Shot with mirror up mode, leaning on the bridge's parapet.

Carolina Photo Guy

Re: Critique Forum Rules

Just wondering if you feel this photo conveys the power of water. This was taken at night and there were many colored lights reflecting different casts on the water. This is why I went with sepia.

View attachment 9002

exif: D7000, 55 1.2 manual focus @ f4, 2.5 sec. iso 1250. Shot with mirror up mode, leaning on the bridge's parapet.

This is a question of a person's perception of "power". To many people, the movement of the water is inherently linked to power as still waters have NO perceptible erosive abilities.

How-ever, this shot evokes a sense of fluidity and grace to me, the antithesis of power.

This is a wonderfully evocative shot! :)

(In other words, I like it.)

ohkphoto

Snow White
"Power" is not what comes to my mind when I view this. I have to agree with Pete -- more of "grace and fluidity".
I love the curvy softness of the line flow. Beautiful shot, Marcel.

fotojack

Yeah, I'm with Helene & Pete on this one. Grace and fluidity is a good way to put it. Softness comes to mind, too. Great shot, Marcel.

DW_

I like them both. I agree with the other commentators that the first photo feels more graceful and full of movement rather than a power/energy feel while the second photo has a real unearthly dream-like feel to it.

Rick M

I agree with all of the above, graceful, fluid, changeable. When I equate power and water it is usually on a more vast scale, like the ocean or a raging river. Beautiful shot, I love the composition, it captures the different angles of flow nicely.