What Exactly is Raw?

Carolina Photo Guy

Just what the question asks. What is Raw, and what is the difference? Is Raw any better.

Back in the old days, ('90s) if you had satellite tv you had a very large dish antenna that you rotated to find the best signal. Sometimes you could find "wild feeds", that was TV without commercials inserted or the sports or news announcers would be practicing their scripts for broadcast. Think of this as RAW.

Dish Network has everything figured out for you, all the news or sports channels are sent in the correct order and at the correct time.
This is like jpeg.

With RAW, you get ALL of the data that the camera has recorded with each image, allowing you FAR greater creative flexibility to make the image
that you see in your minds eye.

With jpeg, your creative juices flow is a lot more restricted. How-ever, jpeg image files are a lot smaller allowing more images to be stored in the same space.

As to which is better, that choice is yours. Which-ever file format fits your style is what is best for you.

Hope this helps. :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Another analogy I use is that RAW is like a film negative which you can reprint in various ways (color, black and white, lighten, darken, etc.) where JPEG is like a Polaroid picture (it is what it is).

Claudia!

I found this thread to be interesting. I remember when I first found this forum everyone mentioned that upgrading to a D7k is a learning curve. As well, if I was going to invest in such a camera, I should not rely on "auto" mode. Since I have had my camera, I only shoot in manual and mostly in raw. I shot a few times in jpeg bc I honestly didn't know the difference. Now that I do, I stick to Raw. I have two 16-gig SD cards. I took a trip to the zoo and in 3 hours, I filled up BOTH cards. Of course I had a few pics on there beforehand but not much. It does suck that they fill up quickly when shooting Raw but I would rather have the ability to be as creative as I want afterwards. I just learned to carry a backup SD card just in case. : )

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Claudia, the challenge is to find a balance between "shoot and pray" for a good shot and knowing you captured the image that you saw in your mind's eye. With time and practice it will come and you'll probably find that you rarely fill a card. Glad you're having fun and sharing your discoveries with us!

Last edited by a moderator:

Claudia!

I think I filled the card because I kept taking pics in continous. I would take several of the same thing for no reason but to see how we I did. I hope I get it down because I don't like filling up the cards often. I have filled them up about 5 times. I am just a beginner so with time I will get everything down and not have to worry about this. I still plan to stick to Raw and manual shooting. I'm not going anywhere! I love this forum. I am on it everyday. : )

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think I filled the card because I kept taking pics in continous. I would take several of the same thing for no reason but to see how we I did. I hope I get it down because I don't like filling up the cards often. I have filled them up about 5 times. I am just a beginner so with time I will get everything down and not have to worry about this. I still plan to stick to Raw and manual shooting. I'm not going anywhere! I love this forum. I am on it everyday. : )

Claudia,
High Continuous mode should only be used by sports of wildlife photogs. Things that move fast and you don't want to miss anything. But for regular shooting, there is absolutely no point. Plus, if you know what you're after, there is something called the right moment and part of learning is observation and recognition of this moment. Plus, unless you're a pro, what if you miss one shot... Have fun but remember that every time you fill your card you'll spend countless hours in front of the computer trying to find the best one.