Trojan Park

bobmielke

This is one of my favorite photographs from a few years back. It's location is Trojan Park near downtown Goble, OR. For locals you would get the joke in that statement because if you blink as you drive down Highway 30 you'd miss Goble. The town only has two buildings, no traffic lights or even a stop sign. Still, there is this beautiful park, complete with a lake full of ducks and geese and an asphalt walking path that meanders through gorgeous trees that are spectacular in Autumn. It's possibly one of the most peaceful places I know.

The shot was taken with my first DSLR, a Nikon D40X with the kit 18-55mm lens aboard set at 1/100" at F/5.0 & ISO 100. I was at 26mm focal length for this picture. It's an oldie but goodie.

394228544_W2DaU-X2.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is a very lovely and serene photo. What an incredible tree! You composed the picture perfectly to highlight this beautiful specimen. You can almost follow the line of the tree into a "golden spiral". Also a perfect capture of the light. It gives your photo depth.

My only recommendations are that you align the grass/tree horizon with the horizontal. I find that a little bothersome (probably because I am prone to sea-sickness). My personal preference would be to add a little more contrast and vibrance. But I tend to like colors that are a little "punchier."

In any case, I agree that this is a wonderful keeper . . . no matter when it was taken.

bobmielke

This is a very lovely and serene photo. What an incredible tree! You composed the picture perfectly to highlight this beautiful specimen. You can almost follow the line of the tree into a "golden spiral". Also a perfect capture of the light. It gives your photo depth.

My only recommendations are that you align the grass/tree horizon with the horizontal. I find that a little bothersome (probably because I am prone to sea-sickness). My personal preference would be to add a little more contrast and vibrance. But I tend to like colors that are a little "punchier."

In any case, I agree that this is a wonderful keeper . . . no matter when it was taken.

Thank you all for your comments. I had my camera mounted on a tripod and used its built-in level before taking the shot. Perspective can be deceptive at times. The tree line in the background is actually running down hill.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Perspective can be deceptive at times. The tree line in the background is actually running down hill.

Yes, you're right about the perspective. . .it can deceive. You know the tree line is running down hill but to me the viewer, who does not know the area, it's not clear from your photo, which is often the case whenever you translate a three dimensional scene into 2-dimensions. Some judges in competitions or exhibits would discount points for the tilt. That being said, it's your photo and your vision. To me, it's still "leaning".

bobmielke

Yes, you're right about the perspective. . .it can deceive. You know the tree line is running down hill but to me the viewer, who does not know the area, it's not clear from your photo, which is often the case whenever you translate a three dimensional scene into 2-dimensions. Some judges in competitions or exhibits would discount points for the tilt. That being said, it's your photo and your vision. To me, it's still "leaning".

Thank you for your understanding. In nature scenes like this there are no Horton lines or straight verican indicators to go by. I spend a lot of time shooting beach scenes on the Pacific Ocean, just 65 miles from here. There, the horizon line is easily leveled using a simple grid displayed while framing.

I no longer am interested in contests but in fact used to judge them some 30 years ago. I tried to be objective unless there were indication such as the sides of buildings to use as a reference. Thank you for your feedback and insights,

ohkphoto

Snow White
I spend a lot of time shooting beach scenes on the Pacific Ocean, just 65 miles from here.

Well, I have to admit I envy you, Bob. As much as I love New Mexico, I do miss the ocean at times. I grew up on the Atlantic coast . . . spent lots of time scuba diving and swimming in the Atlantic.

bobmielke

I spent the last 13 years living in South Carolina on the Atlantic coast. Admittedly there's a huge difference between the coasts. The Pacific is clean, almost pristine, without any denial to access the beach. Oregon law guaranteed that to the inhabitants of Oregon years ago. I consider myself truly blessed for God to lead me here 5 years ago and that I'm able to reain here after retirement.