Just got a D300...

samuraishot

Hello all, I just joined the forum and this is my first post :)

I recently acquired a used D300 with 56,000 actuations for $600. It came with a phottix remote, an extra battery and a few cf cards.

I'm hoping that's considered a good deal since I'm not too sure if it is.

Anyway, it's a total change from my D70 that I had since 2005 and I'm having a blast with it! So far I'm running it with a 50mm 1.8 and a Tokina 11-16mm. I'm hoping to get an 85mm soon.

Bukitimah

I paid USD900 for something similar last year with no CF card or remote control! It is definitely a good deal if the condition is good.

Welcome and do post and share you photo

Just-Clayton

that isnt even half of what i paid for a refurb. 300s. Wow. i just read my actuations and had only a few hundred on it when purchased. now i have almost 1000 and still working great.

samuraishot

That's an awesome deal! I'd give my left___________(<--insert body part here) for a D300! :)

Hahaha, thanks fotojack!

I paid USD900 for something similar last year with no CF card or remote control! It is definitely a good deal if the condition is good.

Welcome and do post and share you photo

I guess it helps to mention that it was a friend's camera. He said he'd give me a good deal, but like I said, I wasn't too sure if he was pulling my leg haha. It's in pretty good condition, considering it was bought when the D300 was released.

Nice, Enjoy the new gear!

Thanks, cnyram!

that isnt even half of what i paid for a refurb. 300s. Wow. i just read my actuations and had only a few hundred on it when purchased. now i have almost 1000 and still working great.

Ok, cool! I thought for 56k actuations, I was paying too much. Looks like there's a lot of life left in it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You'll love it! I moved from a D70s so I know your pain. The D70/D70s is a very different camera so it will take some time. Expect a little frustration but you'll be glad you worked through it. We're here if you have questions!

samuraishot

You'll love it! I moved from a D70s so I know your pain. The D70/D70s is a very different camera so it will take some time. Expect a little frustration but you'll be glad you worked through it. We're here if you have questions!

Thanks, Eduard, the transition is a little bumpy. I've had the D70 for so long that it felt like an extension of me. I hope it'll get that way too with the D300.

samuraishot

I just saw that on the Nikon Picture Control website that you can download something to mimic the color reproduction of the D2x and D2xs.

Has anyone tried this? Is the color reproduction better on the D2x?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I just saw that on the Nikon Picture Control website that you can download something to mimic the color reproduction of the D2x and D2xs.

Has anyone tried this? Is the color reproduction better on the D2x?

If you're shooting RAW and using non-Nikon software, you'll never use it.

Eye-level

Banned
I don't understand why actuation count scares the bejesus out of everyone when you can send just about any DSLR to Nikon or just about any camera repair shot and they can replace your shutter box with a brand spanking new one for less than $300 and that is a price for the D700...the prosumer and consumer models are probably even cheaper...

samuraishot

If you're shooting RAW and using non-Nikon software, you'll never use it.

Thanks, Eduard, so would it be beneficial for shooting in jpeg?

I don't understand why actuation count scares the bejesus out of everyone when you can send just about any DSLR to Nikon or just about any camera repair shot and they can replace your shutter box with a brand spanking new one for less than $300 and that is a price for the D700...the prosumer and consumer models are probably even cheaper...

Hahaha yeah, I guess it's like how some ask how many rounds have gone through a firearm. Some care, and some don't.

Eye-level

Banned
The way I look at it is say I buy a camera with 500, 5000, or 50000 actuations...that doesn't matter at all because I am gonna put about 25K actuations on it in 6 months time...and besides just because any given Nikon is rated at 100K or 150K or 300K actuations that doesn't mean it is Mission Impossible and the camera will self destruct the minute it hits it's rated ceiling...I have a friend that has a F2 with an estimated million actuations...it has had like 2 CLA's in it's lifetime mainly to redo the seals only...

ps I got my d5000 a couple days after Valentine's Day this year with about 5000 actuations...I think I am running about 9500 now...so damn I might shoot 30K in 6 months! I plan on seeing just how many it will do! :)

Last edited:

samuraishot

+1

I'm planning to shoot the heck out of mine too. Maybe for others the actuations play a roll in pricing? I don't know. But, anyway I'm having fun with my new camera. Even after 50k actuations, it feels brand new to me and never used.