What better way to start?

Soulphotography

So, I think I'll begin with the second photo I took on my D90. It had literally been out of the box 2 minutes with its 50mm1.8d lens on. This picture is of my 2 year old daughter. She was "posing" the toast! In terms of EXIF data... How do i post that? or do I just write it? This one was lazily taken in auto mode :-/

I NEED feedback - for every aspect lol. I know I'm no great photographer, but one day, I hope to be. So, critique away :) DSC_0002.JPG

fotojack

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D90
Image Date: 2012-02-14 00:06:21 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 50mm (35mm equivalent: 75mm)
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: ViewNX 1.1 W

There's a Firefox add on program called FxIF Data (do a Google on it) that you can download...if you're using Firefox. Once installed, any picture you come across, just right click on it, click on the FxIF, and a window will pop up and show you the EXIF. At the bottom left corner of this window, there's a Copy button. Click on it. Then, after you've added your picture to a post, just right click in the post space and hit Paste. There ya go. :)

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
You certainly can't dispute the cuteness of this . . . adorable little girl and not a bad shot for being your second one straight out of the camera. So, here are my thoughts:

1. This is really overexposed and washed out. I'm wondering why you used the flash. With your data, high iso, f/2.8 and fairly slow shutter speed, you could have possibly gotten away with natural light. Using any flash this close, even when set to TTL/BL, I find you usually have to reduce the flash EV some to avoid washing out the face.
2. Your Depth of Field is excellent here . . . eyes are nice and sharp.
3. When shooting little "beings" such as children and/or pets, it's usually better to shoot eye-level, unless you're going for some kind of special effect.
4. You might try to add some depth and contrast with your post processing program.

Bluenoser (James) has just posted some excellent examples of his little girl. http://nikonites.com/general-photography-forum/4831-daddys-little-girl.html She's a little older and easier to pose, but look especially at the composition and nice lighting effects.