Hello from Sunny West Wales

erik

Hello to everyone from the sunny Welsh Riviera and Centre of the Universe, otherwise known as Burry Port (or Porth Tywyn in my native tongue).

I have dabbled on and off with photography most of my life, but I am no expert. However, I have now decided to get more serious and this year intend to enrol in a few classes.

For the last 3 years I have owned a D80 and I am now lusting after a D7000 - except I can't get one anywhere. I am not sure I can last until the end of March, when they may become more easily available!!

Here's hoping.

Regards,
Erik.

fotojack

Welcome Erik. Lusting is allowed here. :) Some day you'll have that D7k, not to worry. :) In the meantime, keep having fun with your trusty D80.

crisscross

welcome Erik, especially being from a good part of the universe

I was wondering about silly prices of D7000 around Christmas and about 2nd hand as new prices had risen; then just after ProCameraShop | Product Search Results had them new at 2nd hand price ie £800. Glad I bought, though as they import direct from far east, you only have their guarantee. I see their last price had shot up and no longer in stock, but worth watching.

Amazon seem to have new & used....at a price
Nikon D7000 Body Only: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As a D80 user over 4 years, I am sure it is the right way to go, unless you have hands, back and case to go to D300s, which are more plentiful used and as good. In 1 way better, in as much as there are so many damned buttons etc on the D7000 case, you have to look at it to know what you are poking & I would prefer to feel and the larger D300 body would sort that

erik

Thanks for the lead Chris. I have checked the ProCamera Shop and they are out of stock now. On Amazon, they do say they are in stock, but I think I would prefer to get a Camera locally, which is what I have done in the past - but I will think about this option. The seller of the camera is DigiMac24 from Germany - not sure what sort of reputation they have. By the way - I have looked at your Gallery which is real impressive. A great range of photos and hopefully I will be able to improve my skill level to something similar!!

welcome Erik, especially being from a good part of the universe

I was wondering about silly prices of D7000 around Christmas and about 2nd hand as new prices had risen; then just after ProCameraShop | Product Search Results had them new at 2nd hand price ie £800. Glad I bought, though as they import direct from far east, you only have their guarantee. I see their last price had shot up and no longer in stock, but worth watching.

Amazon seem to have new & used....at a price
Nikon D7000 Body Only: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As a D80 user over 4 years, I am sure it is the right way to go, unless you have hands, back and case to go to D300s, which are more plentiful used and as good. In 1 way better, in as much as there are so many damned buttons etc on the D7000 case, you have to look at it to know what you are poking & I would prefer to feel and the larger D300 body would sort that

erik

Thanks for the welcome. It looks as though I am going to have to wait it out if I want to get my D7000 from a local Nikon Dealer. I prefer this to buying to buying from an overseas retailer because of the service and support you can get locally. In the meantime, I have bought a D7000 instruction book to read - this does provide some consolation and is building up my expectation to near-fever pitch levels!! I will probably hold a party when I get my hands on the D7000!

Welcome Erik . The D7000 is a great choice. Good luck in your quest!

Carolina Photo Guy

Thanks for the welcome. It looks as though I am going to have to wait it out if I want to get my D7000 from a local Nikon Dealer. I prefer this to buying to buying from an overseas retailer because of the service and support you can get locally. In the meantime, I have bought a D7000 instruction book to read - this does provide some consolation and is building up my expectation to near-fever pitch levels!! I will probably hold a party when I get my hands on the D7000!

Heres a hot tip. Look around and see if you can find a D7000 to rent for a week or so to get the feel of it.

That should help with the camera lust and make the actual "honeymoon" more enjoyable! Just a thought. :)

crisscross

Thanks for the welcome. It looks as though I am going to have to wait it out if I want to get my D7000 from a local Nikon Dealer. ....I have bought a D7000 instruction book to read - this does provide some consolation and is building up my expectation to near-fever pitch levels!! I will probably hold a party when I get my hands on the D7000!

Worth also getting a .pdf version from https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com (may need to have a Nikon registered, if so I can forward). Easier to find the bit you remember having seen somewhere, but not where!

I hate to worry you, but I think about 90% of the tiddly bits are unecessary & certainly little hope of understanding them without camera in hand and trying particular settings for a day or two.

Can't remember what your existing camera/experience is, but do advise that the D7000 is NOT a learners camera (IMO); you need to have got to shooting fully manual on a D40/50/80/90/5000/3000 usually available used.

erik

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information - I hadn't really thought about getting an online copy of the manual! I am registered on the Nikon site with my D80 so I have been able to download the D7000 manual no problem. I have had a D80 for about 4 years and I am used to using the different modes, so hopefully, I will be able to pick it up okay. That's not to underestimate the challenge ahead as I have heard that there are many more options than on the D80. Thanks again for your advice and support,

Regards,
Erik.

Worth also getting a .pdf version from https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com (may need to have a Nikon registered, if so I can forward). Easier to find the bit you remember having seen somewhere, but not where!

I hate to worry you, but I think about 90% of the tiddly bits are unecessary & certainly little hope of understanding them without camera in hand and trying particular settings for a day or two.

Can't remember what your existing camera/experience is, but do advise that the D7000 is NOT a learners camera (IMO); you need to have got to shooting fully manual on a D40/50/80/90/5000/3000 usually available used.

crisscross

Hi Chris,

... I have had a D80 for about 4 years and I am used to using the different modes, so hopefully, I will be able to pick it up okay. That's not to underestimate the challenge ahead as I have heard that there are many more options than on the D80....

Regards,
Erik.

Thats fine then, you are on the same path as me. Although I thought it would be a natural transition, it is needing more taming than I bargained for. On the one hand the feel of the shutter is totally different and by the time you have mastered the 'hair trigger' effect you can turn of the VR! I doubt you could do the trick folks used to do of keeping the old chamera as a 2nd body to avoid lens changes. On the other, yes just the sheer plethora of features one thought one wanted, but on trying out maybe not a simple as one thought. It is however undoubtedly useful to have the U1 & 2 settings stored for when the M has gone off the map. Also luxury of upping shutter speeds along with ISO. And the 'mirror up' invaluable for tripod work. (cheap cable release better than ML-L3)