Hi from Australia

dwilds

Hi Everyone,
I live in far north Queensland in one of the most scenic areas of Australia and I love it.
I have been active in photography for the last 4-5 years and about 6 months ago I bought my first DSLR a pentax K-x (Which was a mistake) so now I'm looking to upgrade to a Nikon D90 and I am looking at either a 18-55 & 55-300 lens or 18-105 I'm still not sure which would be better for what I do.
I am a Pet Photographer and I also do Family Portraits and the occasional wedding. I currently only do it as a part time job and I am hoping to make it a full time career.
Thanks for reading my intro
Danika

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Danika, and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. Can't wait to see some of your photos of Queensland. Must be beautiful there :)
We're a friendly and fun-loving group, and always willing to share info and help where needed!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

fotojack

Hi Danika. Glad you made the right choice in cameras. ;) As for lenses, all you mention will serve you well in what you plan to do. I use the 18-105 most of all for general photography, and the 55-300 for nature and.......believe it or not......weddings and portraits..........along with the 18-55.
Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy the site.

I'd also recommend you get at least one FAST lens for your pet photography work. I find that most of the dog photography I've been shooting has been done using a nearly wideopen aperture of f/2.8 or higher (if using a fixed focal length).

dogs1.jpg

dogs15.jpg
I was laying down in the dirt with my hand supporting the lens foot (keeping it clean) while shooting this chihuahua.
He was a bit anxious about the 70-200mm lens.

If you care to see more of my dog photography:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150234590021503.319167.349117291502&type=1

Dog Park photo album on Facebook.

Last edited: