Question about Nikon

markkidd2001

Ok I want to get into photography but I have a few questions before I buy my camera. I have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and due to my disease I cannot hold the camera. I have found mounts for the camera that attach to my chair to hold the camera for me. Since it will be on the mount i wont be able to reach it. Now my question is, do they make a remote that can control both the shutter and the zoom?

Lawrence

Welcome to the forum.
You probably aren't looking for sympathy but all the same real sorry to hear about your condition.
You pose a very interesting question and I hope you can find the solution so that you can participate in this fantastic hobby and be part of this wonderful forum.

First let me make sure ever one knows I love Nikon BUT sometimes it is not the answer. I did a little research and found what might be a good choice for you. The Olympus SH-2 SH-2 Compact Digital Camera | 24x, Raw, Wi-Fi, 5 Axis Stabilization | Olympus

The part that got my attention was the following:
Remote operation of the camera from a smart device: zoom, self-timer, white balance and exposure (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), shooting and drive modes, AF area, and shutter

The camera has some decent specs and Olympus is a good brand. I still have a Olympus OM-2n film camera that I have had for 30+years

Give it a look and we would really like to hear what you end up getting.

Lawrence

The Olympus have an awesome range. The E-M5 OM-D being my personal favourite. Apparently the best image stabilisation in the whole world.

oldsalt

Maybe something like "Camranger" could be of use... good luck with your search and let us know how you go.
All the best and welcome to the forum.

cheers

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you able to adjust focal length on a zoom? If not and you think you would like to explore a prime/fixed focal length lens, you might want to look at a Fuji X-T1. It is a lighter body too which might be beneficial? I've put a short video below which may be useful.

SteveH

Welcome to the forum! There are tablet / phone apps that can change most of the settings wirelessly or over a USB host cable... I use DSLRDashboard (Available on Android) and that lets you control pretty much everything and is free. The only thing it won't do is change the focal length of the lens.