Hi from Baltimore, Maryland

Newstech

Greetings. I'm 61 and started shooting with an Instamatic. In 1976 I bought a Nikkormat EL SLR, which I loved deeply and kept using into the early 2000s. Then I went through a sequence of digital point-and-shoots, Canon and HP, each of which became pretty quickly outmoded. The latest, a Canon SX100 IS, is still a very nice little 8 MP with a 10x zoom and image stabilization; it's a keeper for various situations. But I missed the joys of the SLR. When I saw the D3200 for sale for $305 with lens (!) a few weeks ago, just after my first grandchild was born, I couldn't resist. I'm ecstatic with it. In a way it's the 21st Century version of my Nikkormat. I have 3 old AI lenses -- a Nikon 50mm f/2, a Tokina 28mm f/2.8, and an Albinar 80-200 f/3.5 -- that I was delighted to find aren't that hard to use in manual mode on the new camera.

I'm retired from a life in journalism, working as a desk editor and news technology manager. As a result I had the pleasure of working with some of the best photographers around. Though I didn't shoot, I did often work with contact sheets in choosing pix and doing photo layouts. I also was involved with the transition to the first digital editing systems and, later, digital cameras, thought the photo staff folks were the true experts in that.

skater

Welcome!

Baltimore has one of the few camera shops left, Service Photo. I just visited it for the first time last Friday. It's a nice shop.

We have one of those Canons too. It's a good little camera, but it does have some limits.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I was stationed and lived for a long time near B'mo... still one of my favorite places to visit. I'm guessing you worked for The Sun? Great paper. Welcome to the site!!

Newstech

Thanks, Eduard. I've worked for a few papers, but the longest stretch was at The Sun. I'm a Philly native so I guess I used to live in your area.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites! Thanks for sharing your background...I think you'll also find some diverse and helpful people here that share the same passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk