AP Photographer Fired for Photoshop Blunder

Browncoat

Original story.

As everyone here knows, I typically favor editing. I think photo tweaks are part of the artistry of photography. Photojournalism is the exception to this rule. I agree with the AP's disciplinary action on this. Journalistic photos should not be edited in a way that alters the scene.

I think the photographer was justly fired. What do you think?

Carolina Photo Guy

I don't think he was fired for photoshopping the image as much as he was fired for apparently not turning in the unaltered image along with it!

Turning in the original would have given the editor a reasonable explanation for having the altered image in the first place.

Without the original image, it looks as if he was trying to hide something.

He needed to be canned simply because of incompetence.

JM2C :p

ThePhotoLegend

Seems a little harsh to me. The attempt at retouching was not intended to alter the image in a way that changes the nature of the photo. It was not an attempt at deceit. Perhaps he should have been equipped with a telephoto which would have allowed him to achieve the image without his shadow in the first place but I can't see a justification for firing and black listing him. I could understand a warning or even severe rebuke if you were trying to make a point, but it's someone's life that is affected here, not just the AP's practices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

I think as long as they enforce their policy equally in every instance then it is certainly justifiable to maintain their reputation. Perhaps the policy breach was used to eliminate him due to other issues. Sometimes an employer is just waiting for an acceptable reason to dismiss someone. One of those situations where we will never know the whole truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I think Pete's explanation makes most sense. He should have turned in the original with it and given the editor the option. It seems to me that photojournalism/documentary is in the same category as forensic photography. A lot of credibility can be lost if "photoshopping" is allowed. I'm not even sure if cropping is allowed. We all know how a simple crop can totally change the feeling and focus of a photo.

Free press is supposed to be based on facts. Journalists have gotten into serious trouble for fabricating "facts". The photographer's shadow was in the picture, that's the fact. The shadow transformed into a stupid dust cloud is a fabrication. Not only was he incompetent, he was irresponsible as well. He got what he deserved.

Browncoat

Free press is supposed to be based on facts. Journalists have gotten into serious trouble for fabricating "facts".
Helene raises some very good points. When it comes to journalism and the news, many people do not believe what they hear or read. However, nearly everyone believes what they see.

There is bias in the media. Whether you buy into that or not, it's a fact. Many news outlets are owned by large mega corporations who push an agenda in the form of written and visual news. They own TV stations, networks, radio, billboard companies, magazines, and even publishing houses that specialize in children's books and school textbooks. It's well documented that journalism-type jobs attract the liberal thinker. The AP is not exempt from any of this.

I think it is vitally important that photojournalism retain its integrity at all costs...which is increasingly difficult in the digital age. Consider the hundreds of military photographers who are laying their lives on the line documenting conflicts, or those who work for National Geographic who provide those incredible Pulitzer Prize winning photos from 3rd world countries. What would happen if those photos lost their value due to integrity?

Read this from the AP Statement of News Values and Principals:

AP pictures must always tell the truth. We do not alter or digitally manipulate the content of a photograph in any way.

The content of a photograph must not be altered in Photoshop or by any other means. No element should be digitally added to or subtracted from any photograph. The faces or identities of individuals must not be obscured by Photoshop or any other editing tool. Only retouching or the use of the cloning tool to eliminate dust on camera sensors and scratches on scanned negatives or scanned prints are acceptable.

Minor adjustments in Photoshop are acceptable. These include cropping, dodging and burning, conversion into grayscale, and normal toning and color adjustments that should be limited to those minimally necessary for clear and accurate reproduction (analogous to the burning and dodging previously used in darkroom processing of images) and that restore the authentic nature of the photograph. Changes in density, contrast, color and saturation levels that substantially alter the original scene are not acceptable. Backgrounds should not be digitally blurred or eliminated by burning down or by aggressive toning. The removal of “red eye” from photographs is not permissible.

AP reporters are also bound by this statement, though obviously not held to its standards. I, for one, am glad that the photographers are.

PhotoAV8R

AP made the right call. Just look at the crap going on in the Rupert Murdoch empire to see what happens when you throw integrity into the WC.

I just wish those in positions of authority would make the same call more often in professional sports.