Comments please..

robinchun

Your thoughts please (Helene, I'm building bridges here 090.jpg..)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Your thoughts please (Helene, I'm building bridges here
LOL . . . a "bridge" to get to that house that is lurking in the dark across the lake? :)

I like the composition of the photo. Nicely done. I think it might benefit from a little bit of contrast or tone curve adjustment to give it a little more pop.
I have to say that my eye is drawn to the mystery of that house across the lake, which may have been your intent. The whole scene gives me a sense of serenity. I also think that this is a fun photo to experiment with cropping. Cropping down to the horizon makes it a totally different, and equally interesting photo of an arrangement of row boats. So, it's cool you have two photos in one. Very good job.

My two cents! :)

Carolina Photo Guy

090.jpg

I did a little touching up, if you don't mind.

I'm gonna interrupt this Kum By Yah moment to interject a few things.

You have 5 completely different photos in this one, all of which would stand on their own.

Divide this photo in half horizontally and you have 2 different images, each with a different mood. Take the bottom half, close up on boats 1 & 12 and include the reflections

and you have another shot with a different mood. Take the top shot, cut it in half and you have 2 more images with different feelings to them. The side with the small out building

would make a perfect serene scene indicating the solitude of fishing.

To only view this shot from 1 perspective is a shame. I think that you need to open your soul and you will suddenly begin to really "see" instead of just looking.

But I could be wrong! ;)

robinchun

View attachment 3944

I did a little touching up, if you don't mind.

I'm gonna interrupt this Kum By Yah moment to interject a few things.

You have 5 completely different photos in this one, all of which would stand on their own.

Divide this photo in half horizontally and you have 2 different images, each with a different mood. Take the bottom half, close up on boats 1 & 12 and include the reflections

and you have another shot with a different mood. Take the top shot, cut it in half and you have 2 more images with different feelings to them. The side with the small out building

would make a perfect serene scene indicating the solitude of fishing.

To only view this shot from 1 perspective is a shame. I think that you need to open your soul and you will suddenly begin to really "see" instead of just looking.

But I could be wrong! ;)
Wow..that's one hella of a critique!..but does it make the shot a good one or not?..and how/what did you do the alteration?

Robin

fotojack

Unbelievable! Pete, that's exactly what I see, too! And I would have tuned it up the same way. It gives the whole scenario much more pop and life.

Carolina Photo Guy

If you like the shot or shots, as it may be, then its a good shot. Your eye is the only eye that you have to satisfy. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

Having said that, there are aspects that can stand improvement. But, you will never find those aspects until you begin to embrace your own vision. Your "eye" so to speak.

I can tell you what I think is lacking, but that would only fit MY idea of what makes a "good" photo. If you ask 10 people on here what they would change, you would get 10

different answers, none of which would help you in any way. You have to develop your own eye or your photography will never have YOUR stamp on it.

My critique did not involve changing your composition in any way. I was trying to show that nearly every image can have several different perspectives and emotions.

My opinion does not matter one whit. YOUR opinion is the only one that counts.

BTW...

Nice shot! :)

robinchun

LOL . . . a "bridge" to get to that house that is lurking in the dark across the lake? :)

I like the composition of the photo. Nicely done. I think it might benefit from a little bit of contrast or tone curve adjustment to give it a little more pop.
I have to say that my eye is drawn to the mystery of that house across the lake, which may have been your intent. The whole scene gives me a sense of serenity. I also think that this is a fun photo to experiment with cropping. Cropping down to the horizon makes it a totally different, and equally interesting photo of an arrangement of row boats. So, it's cool you have two photos in one. Very good job.

My two cents! :)

Thankyou..I appreciate your two cents worth!

Robin

robinchun

If you like the shot or shots, as it may be, then its a good shot. Your eye is the only eye that you have to satisfy. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

Having said that, there are aspects that can stand improvement. But, you will never find those aspects until you begin to embrace your own vision. Your "eye" so to speak.

I can tell you what I think is lacking, but that would only fit MY idea of what makes a "good" photo. If you ask 10 people on here what they would change, you would get 10

different answers, none of which would help you in any way. You have to develop your own eye or your photography will never have YOUR stamp on it.

My critique did not involve changing your composition in any way. I was trying to show that nearly every image can have several different perspectives and emotions.

My opinion does not matter one whit. YOUR opinion is the only one that counts.

BTW...

Nice shot! :)

Pete..your my kinda guy..Carolina Photo wise..

Robin

Jacqueline

You're on your way to getting at least ten different views.

I would have gone in the opposite direction as Pete.

The fact that there seem to be multiple points of interest doesn't bother me at all here, since the all seem to me to be working towards the same effect. The scene feels very still and quiet in a moody, rather than peaceful, way. I'd crop a bit of the sky out at the top to emphasize the horizontal lines of the composition. I'd also reduce the saturation. Here's the direction I'm thinking of:

Boats.jpg

Browncoat

The top 1/3 of this photo doesn't add anything to it in my opinion, so I would remove it completely. There are a lot of interesting textures here, but not much in the way of color....so I think this is a perfect candidate for B&W:

Untitled-1.jpg

Carolina Photo Guy

I must apologize to the both of you. I never did answer your question on how I altered your shot.

How-ever, if you don't have the same editing software, my answers will mean absolutely nothing.

But, just for future reference.

I kicked the contrast about 2 notches. Slapped the definition all the way. Bumped the saturation up just a smidge and kicked the vibrancy until it looked right to me.

Aperture 3 rough and finished in iPhoto Whateverthehell the current one is!

Hope this helps! ;)

Joseph Bautsch

I'm not a B&W person but Anthony's B&W rendition is the best of all. Good eye Anthony. Pete, your version is a bit over done, I would back off the adjustments to give it a more normal look. But that's my opinion, it all works well. And as has been said when you can crop a shot several different ways and still get a good composition it's a good composition to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeLewisPhotography

Here is my take, showing you before and after. The black and white is nice and the crop is dead on. I usually favor a good black and white over a color, but I think the #'s on the back of the boats is a critical element to the photo in this case. The color of those just pops right off of the dull scene. I don't particularly care for the over saturated versions posted earlier, either. So I color corrected, then desaturated some of it, and made the #s stand out a bit, but not too much... I also brought in some much needed light on the right side.

Before

090.jpg

After

090copy.jpg