Hello From Everywhere / Nowhere

Phanntom

Hi all....thought I'd drop by and introduce myself, such as I am, my name is Denny and the location isn't a misprint.

I was born and raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I spent the my last few years in MI living North of Detroit in Rochester before being transferred to Seattle and eventually Los Angeles where I spent the rest of my career.

After living the better part of a lifetime doing what was expected of me I began formulating a plan to move me into early retirement. After all, it matters little whether or not "you" own the cubicle or an employer does...it's still a cubicle with all its trappings, routine and boredom. I left my company, sold my home, bought an RV and packed up my camera gear and hit the open road.

My plan was to spend 3 years traveling the country making a photographic record of all the remaining covered bridges during the spring, summer and fall, before heading to the Southwest to winter over in Southern California and Arizona photographing the wild mustangs, ghost towns and other Americana. At the end of my 3 years I didn't have the heart to bring it to an end....my heart was still with sunrises, not sunsets. So far, as long as the health holds out...I want to continue trying to see what's around the next bend.

It's sad...you spend the better part of a lifetime doing what you have to do, to get a few years of doing what you want to do.

Phanntom

Thank you...so am I.

The project turns out to be far more work than I'd anticipated. First...I figured maybe a few hundred left. By the time I finished the research there ended up being over 4,000. Because many of those are recent builds and only serve to cross a ditch with a drive into an apartment complex or something, or across stream on a golf course I've managed to winnow the list down to about 2,100 that actually have historical significance.

To make matters worse...prior to this year, like most photographic hacks, I'd shoot a ton of shots with the idea of getting 1 or 2 I could use. This year, I've turned over a new leaf as a result of watching a documentary on Ansel Adams. I've resolved to limit myself to 2 shots...no more than 3 of any static subject. I'll explain this more in a blog post.
Denny

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome! Since I live west of Philly, where there a lot of covered bridges, ping me when you're in the area!

ttmctoad

Welcome. Sounds like you're making the most of your retirement. My wife and I hope to be sitting on a beach in the Philippines within the next three years.

RocketCowboy

Howdy Denny and welcome to Nikonites!

I'm envious of the travel! I used to travel across the country via motorcycle, now looking for my next method for conquering the world! :)

Pretzel

Are you The Brain Charlie??

We just gotta figure out who Pinkie is now... LOL

@Phanntom, you're not making my mid 40's any easier with this "work away your life for a few days play" approach! I gotta buy more Powerball tickets now!!!

Sounds like the travel and photography is an amazing way to spend the days and I'm looking forward to your pics. Welcome to our menagerie!