New to the forum...

dt2003au

Just to say Hi and to see how this works:)

I'm a long-time Nikonite, firstly with film (FE2, which I'm still using) and more recently with D90. My fave lens is 50mm/1.4 (because it's great & I could afford it:D)

Cheers and good shootin'

Eye-level

Banned
Welcome mate! I'm new here to this forum myself...it is sort of different but I really like this place.

I too shoot film still...mainly just film as that is what I have to use...I'm curious how do you like using your old MF Nikkors on the D90? Do you find it makes the same basic pictures as your FE2 does?

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your pics and posts . . . we're a fun bunch of people and we love our Nikons and photography!

dt2003au

Thanks for the welcome!

The MF primes I'm using (Nikkor 50mm/1.4 and Sigma 24mm/ 2.8) work fine with D90 - of course, used totally manual, no AF, and no metering. I don't mind the lack of AF, in fact I sometimes turn it off even on the D Nikkor lenses (allows me to focus precisely where I want to, which is particularly important with 50mm/1.4 when wide open.) No metering is a bit tougher, I use the LCD display as a reference, and I manually bracket, but would probably benefit from a light meter (I have one now as a free app on iPhone).

Images with these MF lenses turn out very sharp on D90, perhaps as the sensor uses only the middle portion of the entire available image (36x24). I am not sure that there are any other major differences between the MF lens performance on these cameras, but both combinations usually produce a "better" (subjectively) result then the D90s kit zooms (18-55, 55-200), though these win big on the convenience factor.

My flickr stream is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dt_au

(I also use iPhone 4 as a camera here and there :D and some other cameras too... Not all images are from Nikon cameras)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to this forum Dan. I had a look at your Flickr gallery and really enjoyed your pics. Hope to see more of your shots on this forum.

Eye-level

Banned
It is encouraging for me to hear you say good things about shooting old primes on a sensor equipped rig!

Sometime this year I hope to have a few of the old "legacy" MF lenses...namely the 50/1.2, the 85/1.4, and the 105/2.5. Then the next step is a DSLR body. I have a pretty neat Micro-Clipon Sekonic L-136 right now but I need to upgrade. :)

I'm off to check out your flickr and add you as a contact.

Eye-level

Banned
Dan this particular shot caught my eye instantly sir... :)

Are there a bunch of those running around still nowadays????

The Big Bopper baby...hahahaha

AusCar.jpg