EXIF
Camera: D300s
Lens: Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 (@200mm)
ISO: 200
1/1000 @ f/5.6
Flash: Did not fire

Lightroom: B&W conversion, cropping, sharpening
Photoshop CS5: Vivid light filter

Street photography was always a weakness of mine. I won't say that working for the newspaper has cured me of that, but I've come a long way. On this day, I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with some firefighters who were doing a training exercise.

Browncoat

Thanks for the kind words. I may have an opportunity tomorrow to do the same thing w/ the local Sheriff's office. They are doing some live-fire exercises and combat training, and we're hoping for the go-ahead. Keeping my fingers crossed because that would totally kick ass.

PhotoAV8R

Awesome, Anthony! I just wish there was a light inside the mask to bring out the expression in his eyes. (I guess I've been watching too many Hollywood movies.)

Anyone that doesn't have the utmost respect for these guys and girls just hasn't been paying attention.

Browncoat

Below is the photo chosen to run with the article. There are around 60 total images in this set, many of which are action shots. I only submitted a handful of the candids here.

When I am sent out on assignment, I am usually only required to get 1 shot. Occasionally 2-3, and if it's a large feature story, 6-8. The single shot assignments are easiest, because for the most part, I control what goes in the paper. For this one, I was at the mercy of the editor who often selects submissions that I wouldn't necessarily choose myself.

20110602-FireTraining-24.jpg