What are we gonna do now???

Slothead

While we were away in Colorado, a Robin decided that our front door wreath was an excellent place for a nest! Every time that we open the door (obviously) she high-tails it. I checked the nest this morning and there are 2 eggs in it! If those eggs hatch and babies are in there, they are obviously going to fall out eventually with the use of the door. Any suggestions (besides using another door)?

DSC_0008a2.jpg

FYI: taken with a D5100, 70-200 f/2.8 VR (at about 200mm)

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Can you move the wreath and nest next to the door or window? The bird will still go where the nest and eggs are at (lack of choice).

Slothead

Both good answers! I'll give the AS a call and see if they have any others. If they don't, we will think about moving it. The problem may be that the door is part of the support for the nest, I think, and we can't move that.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Photo Guy

Tom, if you wind up having to move the nest, you must mask your scent. Here is the hot tip of the year.

Gather up a double handful of FRESH leaves from a strongly aromatic tree and rub the leaves ALL over your hands and arms.

Then you should be able to safely handle the nest without leaving your scent all over the outside of it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Mike150

Both good answers! I'll give the AS a call and see if they have any others. If they don't we will think about moving it. They problem may be that the door is part of the support for the nest I think and we can't move that.

Thanks,

If it is at all possible, can you use a different door until the newborn chicks have left the nest? It can be a major pain in the behind parts sometimes, but to me, worth the prospective photo ops of the newborns.

goz63

I agree with Mike, if it was me, I would try to work around them. Too many good photo opportunities with them right at your door.