Lenses for Travel

Pippa5

We are going on vacation overseas. I have the following three lenses for my D3200. Standard 18-55, Tamron 18-270, and Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8G. Which of these would be the best walk around to use during daytime and which would be best at nighttime?

WayneF

The f/1.8 aperture will be best for night time, when there is little light.

There seems two philosophies about the best carry-one-lens-and-walk-around-all-day lens.

Some go for the maximum zoom range, like 18-200 mm, to be ready for any situation.

Others prefer the better quality (sharpness, distortions, etc) of a more moderate zoom, like the 16-85 mm for example. The extreme zoom ranges have a cost.

SirenWilliams

I travel a lot and I've been using two lenses, but recently learned there's a 18-300 that I'll be looking into! don't have details, but if anyone does, I'd appreciate it!! Maybe have a look for that one.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I travel a lot - both for work and recreation. When I travel for work, I don't often know if I'll have a chance to have any down time. I use my V2 for those situations.

When I travel for recreation, I have the time to take the best images I can. To do that, I take the best equipment available to me. In my case, that is usually my D800.

The reason I bring this up is to get you to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with your travel photography. The answer hopefully helps you decide which equipment you want or need. Good luck in your research!