Magnesium Alloy Bodies

AC016

Both my cameras have full magnesium alloy bodies. I always find it interesting to see the mag alloy body "naked" so that you can see exactly were mag alloy is and isn't.

Here is the X-T1 stripped down:

Screen-Shot-2014-01-29-at-8.21.04-AM1.png
Fujifilm X-T1 Digital Camera | Features | Fujifilm Canada

Here is the X-Pro1. This is a very early, pre-production model:

fuji-mirrorless-camera2.jpg
Fuji LX Photos Leaked | PhotoWeeklyOnline

Anyone else care to share a photo of their camera model stripped down do it's bones?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
But there is a catch, magnesium alloy can crack on impact because it doesn't have the flexibility of new plastics and carbon fibers. And when it does, it's certainly more expensive to repair. This is only my opinion and I'm fully aware that it's nothing scientifically proven. So for me, I don't see this as such a great feature.

AC016

But there is a catch, magnesium alloy can crack on impact because it doesn't have the flexibility of new plastics and carbon fibers. And when it does, it's certainly more expensive to repair. This is only my opinion and I'm fully aware that it's nothing scientifically proven. So for me, I don't see this as such a great feature.

You could be right, but i was only asking for photos of the body itself :):)

Rick M

It is interesting to research, both materials have their advantages/disadvantages. When it comes to the body I'd put weather sealing as my #1 factor over anything else.

AC016

It is interesting to research, both materials have their advantages/disadvantages. When it comes to the body I'd put weather sealing as my #1 factor over anything else.

Yes, there is always pros & cons. I am not sure i would want a camera made of carbon fiber though. I am not sure if it would even be affordable. If you managed to break it, now that would be a hefty repair bill. Maybe fiberglass, then you can just get a repair kit from the hardware store, lol.

Here is the Leica T 701 unibody, made from a single piece of mag alloy:

Leica-T-Typ-701-unibody.jpg
Leica T 701 a new mirrorless camera with magnesium alloy body

Last edited:

Rick M

Yes, there is always pros & cons. I am not sure i would want a camera made of carbon fiber though. I am not sure if it would even be affordable. If you managed to break it, now that would be a hefty repair bill. Maybe fiberglass, then you can just get a repair kit from the hardware store, lol.

Here is the Leica T 701 unibody, made from a single piece of mag alloy:

View attachment 123149

I'm surprised how thick it is, a little tank!

AC016

I'm surprised how thick it is, a little tank!

There is a video out on the interweb that shows you the body being polished and refined. It's about an hour long, but i figure you would rather watch paint dry, it's that boring, lol:p

aroy

Fibre glass has glass filaments and carbon fiber has carbon filaments. Both use a variety of plastics for holding the fibers. The advantages are that the bodies are tough and rarely crack as fast as metal bodies, but they flex a bit, so one must be careful while designing the bodies to see that nothing breaks when the body flexes. These materials are much tougher than magnesium allow. What is not that good is the older Polycarbonate bodies which are relatively fragile.

AC016

;) Yes, I accidentally stumbled into your non-Nikon thread while browsing the Nikon based forum. Wait, is this not the "Bye" thread? I'm lost :confused:

The "Bye" thread is that way >>>>>> Everyone is welcome here. Maybe me, Sonic & Rick can convert you, hehehehehe :devilish::devilish: