My 1st light trail

paul04

Thought I would give this ago last night, over the motorway bridge near my house
Plan was to use the 50mm F1.8 prime lens, and set the camera on the tripod.

1st thing I did notice was how windy it was, it was hard to keep the tripod steady,(only a cheap lightweight one) and I forgot the remote shutter.
I did take a few shots but most were blurred.
So trying again tonight, plan is to add weight to the tripod to keep it steady, and take remote shutter

DSC_3355.jpg

DSC_3358.jpg

Last edited:

Eyelight

Like the second where both headlights and taillights are in play. If shot from the far side where the taillights were in the foreground, might balance out the exposure between the headlights. Could also use the adjustment brush to even them out and get a little more brightness on the taillights.

Good 1st

paul04

Thanks @Eyelight To take the second picture, I Had to move over to the right hand side of the bridge, lower the tripod so the camera was resting on the bridge to try and stop it moving.

The 1st picture, again pointing down as the camera was resting on the bridge.

Got everything ready for another try tonight, including a 6kg weight to stop the tripod moving.

Eyelight

Bigger bridges are not stable as the earth. Just something to bear in mind that you could be getting a small amount of movement from the bridge even if your tripod is stable.

Eyelight

Yep. I think you made leaps and bounds of improvement.

I can't help but note that the autos seem to be going in the wrong direction.:)

paul04

Thanks everyone for your comments, I only noticed the motorway lights when I was editing the picture in lightroom.(they look like stars)

I set the shutter up in bulb mode, which I thought was better.

mikew_RIP

Nice one,i think i would take the row of white lights out of the sky.
Its easy to be a critic when you have never done something :D

paul04

You get the stars when you shoot lights at such a small aperture. Usually around f/11 and above.

I was testing the aperture, 1st set at 5.6, but that made the picture to bright, so a few more test shots, until I found f22 was the best setting. really enjoyed it, and it shown me how to set the camera up for shutter speed and aperture.