Unreal grain

Dimitar

Why am I getting crazy grain when boost the iso to 1200 or more at night. It happens on both my 35mm 1.8 and tokina 11-16 2.8 . What am I doing wrong ?
I see some people shooting at iso 1200 and their photos look so damn smooth , please someone help

J-see

What are you shooting at 1200? Some shots I get away with it fine, others look like a pointillistic artwork. Dark areas always suffer heavily.

First off, What camera are you shooting with? That will make more of a difference than the lens will.

I shoot with the D7100 and here is a shot I did Friday night with the D7100 and the 18-140 zoom. This is at ISO 6400

DON_1461.jpg

I do not consider this to be excessively grainy. So a lot of it comes down to subject matter also,

Last edited by a moderator:

Dimitar

What are you shooting at 1200? Some shots I get away with it fine, others look like a pointillistic artwork. Dark areas always suffer heavily.

Just street life basically , I try take a normal shot but its shaky,blurry until I boost the iso but after i do, the landscape is grainy as f ! I might be a noob at night photography but how does one manage to take good photos at night without them being visibly grainy ? I shoot d7000

Dimitar

First off, What camera are you shooting with? That will make more of a difference than the lens will.

I shoot with the D7100 and here is a shot I did Friday night with the D7100 and the 18-140 zoom. This is at ISO 6400

View attachment 121719

I do not consider this to be excessively grainy. So a lost of it comes down to subject matter also,

I might be a noob at night photography but how does one manage to take good photos at night without them being visibly grainy ? I shoot d7000 just the previous model than yours. I dont wanna use flash, also yes, I'll post a photo if I find any since I delete them after they are looking so damn grainy. the only way that works is by doing long exposures. thats the only way to get a good photo that aint grainy nor blurry

Dimitar

Oh, I forgot to mention perhaps an important setting ? I use aperture priority all day everyday, except long exposures obviously.

I might be a noob at night photography but how does one manage to take good photos at night without them being visibly grainy ? I shoot d7000 just the previous model than yours. I dont wanna use flash, also yes, I'll post a photo if I find any since I delete them after they are looking so damn grainy. the only way that works is by doing long exposures. thats the only way to get a good photo that aint grainy nor blurry

I have a D7000 also and I can do just about as good with it. As you can see this is at a fairly fast shutter speed since I was able to stop this guy in the air. And no, this is without a flash. You never use flash in a live football game. They would kick me off the field. If you are getting a lot of grain then it almost sounds as if you are underexposing the shots. Again, post one with the EXIF data and we should be able to tell more.

J-see

This is a shot I took 1 minute ago, unprocessed. You can check the ISO setting.

002.jpg

If I can do 3200, you should be able to do 1200. Evidently, the more you close in at something, the more high ISO will work against you.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

Why am I getting crazy grain when boost the iso to 1200 or more at night. It happens on both my 35mm 1.8 and tokina 11-16 2.8 . What am I doing wrong ?
I see some people shooting at iso 1200 and their photos look so damn smooth , please someone help

Just street life basically , I try take a normal shot but its shaky,blurry until I boost the iso but after i do, the landscape is grainy as f ! I might be a noob at night photography but how does one manage to take good photos at night without them being visibly grainy ? I shoot d7000

It is to be expected that at higher ISO settings, there will be more noise in the image. It can be roughly thought of as analogous to the fact that with film, higher-speed films tend to produce grainier images than lower-speed films.

To a great degree, this is an area where technological advancement is making mor emodern sensors better than older ones. The D7000 is a fairly old model now, so it cannot reasonably be expected to perform as well in this regard as a more modern model.

This is a shot I took 1 minute ago, unprocessed. You can check the ISO setting.

View attachment 121722

If I can do 3200, you should be able to do 1200. Evidently, the more you close in at something, the more high ISO will work against you.

You're using a D3300, which is one of the newest, most modern models. It stands to reason that its performance with regard to low-light, high ISO settings, and sensor noise, is going to be far better than that of a D7000.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Could it be that you have auto-iso enabled? And that your shots are way above 1200 because of auto-iso?
I have a D7000 and had no problem with as high as 6400. You should post a problem picture of yours so we can see for ourselves and maybe advice you better.

Horoscope Fish

I don't know how you're shooting but if you're shooting in JPG, enabling "Active D Lighting" will increase grain significantly, *especially* in the shadows.

Grain like that is pretty easy to knock out in post, though, with the right software. Adobe Camera RAW, for instance, does a pretty amazing job.

J-see

You're using a D3300, which is one of the newest, most modern models. It stands to reason that its performance with regard to low-light, high ISO settings, and sensor noise, is going to be far better than that of a D7000.

You are right about that but I occasionally shot Ilford 3200 in the past and even those I didn't have to throw away. And that was many moons ago.

Maybe it is because I have noise filtering on that makes the difference. But for those shots, he should have tolerable images for sure. You seldom get away with high ISO in macro shots but for landscape or street it shouldn't be an issue for him.

Dimitar

I don't shoot auto iso, I don't shoot jpegs, I shoot nef raw files. I've been busy with exams, I'm gonna post photos today so you can see. By the way how do I upload images ?

SteveH

I took this the other night, hand-held at fairly high ISO... Don't forget, the camera has a setting to do some noise reduction after a high ISO shot or long exposure, so first check if this is enabled or not... Also, how are you doing your post-production?

dsc_3832-edit.jpg

Dimitar

_DSC0228.jpg_DSC0232.jpg

First image : Exposure time 1/2 secs , ISO 3200, exposure +1.3 ,
Second image : exposure time 1/2 secs , ISO 6400 , exposure +1.3

Okay, surprisingly as you can see the noise on the images isn't really visible which I am surprised really, but however it is blurry due to slow shutter speed , am I right ? I try and manually put the shutter speed higher but once I do that, images come out very, very dark, sometimes even black.

_DSC0260.jpg_DSC0263.jpg

Now about the grain
First image : exposure time - 1/20 sec , iso 2000 , exposure +0.3
Second image: expusure time - 1/15 sec , iso 1250 , exposure +0.3

Is the grain normal for inside conditions As you can probably see, the first image at 2000 iso is way better than the second one shot at 1250 iso. I think the first one is not bad and its usable compared to the second one, however I will go out and take some night shots in the weekend and show you guys how it performs outside, darker places / streets and so on. I really had no time this week.

I always put the exposure up (+) at night thinking it'll somehow help the image to get lighter, however it doesnt always work fine . Is there really a use of doing so or no need ? Also I transfered these files from raw to jpeg using lightroom, no edit or anything

Horoscope Fish

I'm not seeing digital noise ("grain") in these shots, I'm seeing motion blur from extremely low shutter speeds and a fairly wide aperture. Further, digital noise is *always* going to be more prevalent in low light situations. Without going into a detailed explanation, that's just how it is.

EDIT: Adorama posted this excellent article that explains digital noise and how to avoid it in your photos. Definitely worth a read.

Last edited:

Deleted

For some reason, the images aren't zooming for me.

The top shots have camera shake. The pusscat looks great in my opinion, bearing in mind no processing & a low shutter speed.

I think your main problem is camera shake.