Forum etiquette

goz63

I just got off another Nikon photo site that we have had discussions about in this forum before. I was disturbed with a thread that started out by someone simply asking about a picture they took of some geese. It had turned out grainy and she wanted some help on improving the shot. She stated that she had wanted a picture of the geese flying so she had her granddaughter go out and make them fly. She received one or two responses on the photo and then the thread went into a diatribe on her making the geese fly and how terrible that was. I was appalled at the beating she took over this.
I am writing this for two reasons, first to vent my frustration and second to commend the people on Nikonites for creating a much more friendly and non-threatening forum to discuss photography. I think it is time for me to dump the other site and stick with this one.

ohkphoto

Snow White
So sorry for that photographer. I, for one, choose this forum above others because of the nice people here. I think the tone was set by the site admin, jdeg, (who has made this into a "community", not just a forum) right from the start and we've got some really great super mods who support that and watch out that nobody gets "beat up."

We're glad you're here, Mark, and thanks for sharing this.

Browncoat

I think it is time for me to dump the other site and stick with this one.

I agree. :cool:

The staff here isn't going to allow the "piling on" of its members. And really, Pete is the biggest stinker of this community, and he's not all that bad.

fotojack

Mark, thanks for the kind words about Nikonites. We really do try and make this a friendly and informative site for anyone looking for help and/or information about their Nikons, no matter the size or model. We don't subscribe to snobbishness or eliteness. As Helene said, this is truely a community of photographers and not just a forum. Every now and then we allow venting......but just from Pete! ;)

AxeMan - Rick S.

Welcome back Mark. That what I like about this site you can share, learn, and have fun. Sometimes you learn more than you want to know and that's what makes this place fun.

Rick

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your previous Nikon forum experience Mark. That is exactly one of the reasons I created this place. I found other Nikon forums abrasive and generally outdated. New members, such as me, felt alienated. This is the opposite of what a good community should be. I knew I could do better.

I'm glad to see people recognizing the value in a good community where people actually help each other instead of turning up their noses. After only a year of being online Nikonites has grown at an incredible rate. I intend to keep this place free and as open as possible. Not to mention free of snobs.

Happy posting!