SD Card...

alfaholic

Banned
Hello everyone,

I have Toshiba Exceria Class 10, write speed 30MB/s and read speed 95 MB/s, but I need more space so I am searching for appropriate SD card.

This one I have is fast enough, my D7100 works well, it shoots 6fps and then continues at 1fps, but I can not decide whether to by cheaper Sandisk Ultra Class 10, or little more expensive Toshiba Exceria Class 10, I am afraid that this Sandisk is slower than my 16gb Exceria:

SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class 10 32GB 30MB Sec UHS I SD HC 32G 32 G GB Memory Card | eBay

Toshiba Exceria 32GB SDHC 32G SD Secure Digital Card Class 10 95MBS SD H32GR7WA6 | eBay

Also, is there any difference in performance between SD Cards and Micro SD Cards with adapters?

Last edited:
i am not sure it matters but I always get as good / fast a card as i can afford. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

I don't think I would even try to use a micro SD with adapter for any reason.

alfaholic

Banned
The problem with "The best I can afford" is that I can afford any SD card out there, but I just do not want to spend more than I need. :)
D7100 has its limits, so I do not want to spend more money if camera can not exploit all that speed, that is why I ask which one is best by for D7100.

Bill16

Great info HF buddy! Wow, I'd be getting good and fast cards if it was me, and I needed some for a D7100!
Of course I usually buy sandisk extreme pro, or at least sandisk extreme even for my pair of D300's!
But a D7100 really needs the pro speed of the sandisk extreme pro card! :D

Besides, since they last so long, it would likely be best to buy the best, because you may upgrade you Nikon someday and really wish you had a much faster card!

Last edited:

Blacktop

I had very good luck so far with the Lexar Pro series Cards. I had a 32GB Lexar pro 800x CF card in my D300, and now I use a 16GB Lexar pro Sd 600X in my D7100. So far so good.

Horoscope Fish

Great info HF buddy! Wow, I'd be getting good and fast cards if it was me, and I needed some for a D7100!
Of course I usually buy sandisk extreme pro, or at least sandisk extreme even for my pair of D300's!
But a D7100 really needs the pro speed of the sandisk extreme pro card! :D

Besides, since they last so long, it would likely be best to buy the best, because you may upgrade you Nikon someday and really wish you had a much faster card!
I've found happiness with these Samsung Pro cards, rated at 80MB/s. The 32's are $36 a pop while the 16's are $18.

They're really cool looking too, which doesn't hurt. ;)

Bill16

The newer slightly faster and a couple bucks more expensive version of those cards you like, aren't as cool looking! Lol ;)

They're like 90MB/s for $37.99. :)

But I agree that yours are cool looking, and reasonably priced too!

I've found happiness with these Samsung Pro cards, rated at 80MB/s. The 32's are $36 a pop while the 16's are $18.

They're really cool looking too, which doesn't hurt. ;)

SteveH

I have the SanDisk Extremes, both 45 MB/s and 90MB/s... I honestly can't tell the difference in write speed between them in-camera on continuous shutter.

aroy

For still images 45MB/s is the maximum that is needed for 24MP 14 bit images. Faster cards would speed up data transfer if a fast USB3 card reader is used with USB3 port on the computer.

yauman

When connected to the computer with USB cable, is D7100 USB 3.0 compatible?

USB 2.0 but always try to use a card reader instead of connecting directly to the compuer. Most computer, laptop and desktops today already come with a SD card reader slot, if not buy a card reader. The transfer is much faster with a card reader and it save your camera's battery. When you are connected directly to the camera, you are running your camera as a computer and even if it's USB 2, the transfer rate is nowhere near the spec 45mb/sec - not even close and you are running down your camera's battery. Yes, it's rechargeable but then you have used up another few recharge cycles of the battery. Remember, there is a finite number of recharged for all rechargeable batteries - save them for taking pictures and not use them up for something you don't need to.

alfaholic

Banned
USB 2.0 but always try to use a card reader instead of connecting directly to the compuer. Most computer, laptop and desktops today already come with a SD card reader slot, if not buy a card reader. The transfer is much faster with a card reader and it save your camera's battery. When you are connected directly to the camera, you are running your camera as a computer and even if it's USB 2, the transfer rate is nowhere near the spec 45mb/sec - not even close and you are running down your camera's battery. Yes, it's rechargeable but then you have used up another few recharge cycles of the battery. Remember, there is a finite number of recharged for all rechargeable batteries - save them for taking pictures and not use them up for something you don't need to.
I understand, but I do not like to open and close sd card door 1000 times thwn it gets loose. :)

yauman

I understand, but I do not like to open and close sd card door 1000 times thwn it gets loose. :)

Hmmm.. that thought really threw me for a loop! I never ever thought about that possibility When I was shooting events before I had a camera with 2 cards, (my D60 and D90) just out of sheer paranoia, I would switch cards every 1/2 hour, cycling between 4 SD cards so that in the worse possible case, I will have lost only 1/4 of my images if a card goes bad on me. So, in an 8 hr shift on a convention event shoot, I would have opened and closed the card door 16 times! Never had a door problem.

So, out of curiosity, I just went and asked our camera repair tech here who has been doing repairs for last 15 years. He said he's never seen a camera come in with a broken card door. He has seen a lot of bent pins for CF card and when it comes to broken door it’s always the battery door. He showed me 6 cameras on his bench with broken battery door flaps waiting to be repaired. Broken latch is most common, followed by broken hinge. He surmised that because the doors are spring-loaded to put pressure on the battery, there’s more stress on the hinges and when owner sometime forgot that the door is ajar and set the camera down, the stress is too much on the little wimpy hinge. (His advice to prevent battery door problem is to really push down on the door against the battery spring before applying the latch instead of pushing and letting the latch “click” in place!)

I pursued the question about the reliability of the card doors - they sure look more flimsy than the battery door! He agree that even though it’s exercised more frequently during normal use, there’s nothing to stress it. He suspects that there may be a few broken card doors out there but the camera don’t care and continue to work without the door or door latching properly so the owner don’t usually bring them in for repair (Labor $90/hr.) If your card door doesn’t latch, you can easily tape it in place, a solution not usually possible with battery doors - that’s why he thinks he sees only battery door repairs.

Ok, so that’s my story and I’m sticking with it :cool:

Last edited: