Equipment for Nighttime Wedding?

kcmatic

I'm shooting my first wedding soon and it will be outdoors- a few hours will be after sunset when it's darker out. Decorative lighting will be in place but I don't want to rely on random bits of lighting here and there.

It's a small wedding. About 40 people.

What equipment would you bring? The D800 is new to me. Still learning a lot.

Tripod?
What lighting?
Flash?
Speedlight?

Using a 24-85mm lens. Will upgrade in future.

Any advice would be great. Help be be successful! You guys are awesome.

Scott Murray

You will need some fast lenses f/2.8 or faster, tripod will get in the way, may need multiple flashes but all depends on your experience. Also a back up camera would be handy.

fabulas

I would definitely rent a better/faster lens. You might want a tripod for group shots. A speedlight will also be great/needed. I'd practice taking my camera to a late evening settings like a park or downtown for practice. Id put the camera on Shutter or Manual mode with auto ISO up to 6400 and a minimum shutter speed 1/60 to 1/80.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

fabulas

For weddings i recommend 24-70mm 2.8 and possibly a 70-200 2.8. Don't let anyone try and convince you that you need only prime lenses either or you're setting yourself up for disaster. Although having a f/1.4 prime could be useful in very low light areas.

Scott Murray

For weddings i recommend 24-70mm 2.8 and possibly a 70-200 2.8. Don't let anyone try and convince you that you need only prime lenses either or you're setting yourself up for disaster. Although having a f/1.4 prime could be useful in very low light areas.

I agree with these choices. I used a 70-200 2.8 and a 16-35 4.5 VR in a wedding shoot I did, but I also used a SB910 flash. And I managed hard lighting. So it can be done. I used a D800E and D600.

singlerosa_RIP

Are you doing this as a favor or as a paid gig? Lots of difference in expectations when money is involved. If it's a freebie, go with your 24-85 and use a flash (speedlight). Search youtube for videos on hot to shoot outdoors with on camera flash & D800. Forget tripod. And practice in advance in a similar environment.

Scott Murray

Are you doing this as a favor or as a paid gig? Lots of difference in expectations when money is involved. If it's a freebie, go with your 24-85 and use a flash (speedlight). Search youtube for videos on hot to shoot outdoors with on camera flash & D800. Forget tripod. And practice in advance in a similar environment.
Paid or not as a "semi pro' I would say they would be expecting alot. I know I would. So they need to get their game into gear and do it right.

kcmatic

It is a very low maintenance wedding for a friend of a friend. 40 people apprx, will be held in their small back yard behind their house. A couple of country folks without much money. They want great photos but at the same time don't have huge expectations and they do know this is my first wedding or big shoot. They just don't want someone taking photos with an iPhone. LOL

For me, I want the photos for my portfolio and want to offer nothing but the best to my ability. I don't have a lot of money to work with. I went with the advice above- 24-70mm 2.8 and rented it from borrowlenses.com :D

I will get a speedlight for the 24-85 since it doesn't seem to perform so great in low light settings.

Scott Murray

It is a very low maintenance wedding for a friend of a friend. 40 people apprx, will be held in their small back yard behind their house. A couple of country folks without much money. They want great photos but at the same time don't have huge expectations and they do know this is my first wedding or big shoot. They just don't want someone taking photos with an iPhone. LOL

For me, I want the photos for my portfolio and want to offer nothing but the best to my ability. I don't have a lot of money to work with. I went with the advice above- 24-70mm 2.8 and rented it from borrowlenses.com :D

I will get a speedlight for the 24-85 since it doesn't seem to perform so great in low light settings.
Looking forward to the results :) I also fell into the wedding game and it is an experience.

kcmatic

Thanks! I will definitely come back and show some photos. I am nervous but mainly because I still have a lot to learn... gotta start somewhere right!

fabulas

I would also strongly recommend using the AF-ON button for focusing and disabling the shutter button focus. This will be a lifesaver!

mr2_serious

I would say 24-85mm with a sb-910.

rocketman122

that statement is contradicting.

When I shoot weddings outdoors (almost always at night) I use 2-3 light stands with flashes set at 1/32 power connected to 622n slaves. indoors theyre bounced, outdoor lifted at 13' and pointed down. 42" photoflex umbrellas for formals. I use the D3s at up to 12800 if I need but mostly between 3200-8000 and the D3 till iso 5000

Tripod? never used a tripod yet for weddings. why do you think you need it?

lightstands need to be beefy. people may tip it over and you might get sued. off camera flashes? doesnt matter. I used an SB28 til it died recently. consider the YN565 or even a cheap 560III

rocketman122

for weddings the minimum id go in and shoot is

2 cameras
2 on camera flashes
24/28-70 2.8
70-200 2.8

thats the base

next step up

50 1.8G
85 1.8G
light stands/slaves/off camera flashes

Last edited: