D610 x d7100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, thanks in advance.
I've been reading a lot of topics here, and I've got some doubts, hope you guys can help me out.
I know that we are talking about two different things here, FX x DX.
I'm looking for a camera for taking portrait pictures, not only head and shoulders, but also full length, specially baby's and pet's (and both together).
I've got a $2K budget, and I'm considering two options:

1) Get a D7100 with nice lenses;
2) Get a D610 with a 50mm lens.

I heard that you can take really nice portrait shots using a D610 with a simple 50mm lens, since I don't leave in U.S., I have to consider that is not that easy for getting a new camera, while lens would be way easier.
Both of options will be around my budget, but I'm really confused of what should I do.
Technically, I should go for D610, but my doubt is if worth get a D610 over a D7100 with my budget limits for now.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Elliot87

I can't really offer much advice being a bit of a newbie and having not used either camera. The only thing I would say is that 50mm is not regarded as a portrait lens on a full frame camera. On the D7100 it may well work out as a nice focal length for portraits.

I'd imagine you'd be best off going for the D610 with a 85mm 2.8 lens or perhaps a 70-200mm 2.8.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say on the matter. I don't plan on changing over to a FX body but would like to know how the D7100 rates up against them.

Felisek

I briefly considered D610 before I got my D7100. I decided that D610 is too big, too heavy and too expensive for me. You want to start with a 50 mm lens, but remember that sooner or later you might want to buy more glass. And again: FX lenses are typically bigger, heavier and more expensive. I'm a happy D7100 owner, but you will find many happy D610 owners here as well.

Make your choice carefully, you are investing not only into a camera body, but the entire system. DX lenses will not work on an FX camera.

Horoscope Fish

... DX lenses will not work on an FX camera.
They'll work just fine, you just have to use the DX Crop Mode on the D610... Of course that means your D610 is now a 10MP DX format camera but DX lenses WILL work on full frame bodies in their Crop Mode.

As for the decision between FX and DX my question would be, how seriously do you intend to get into this whole "photography thing" and what sort of things do you intend to do with your shots once you have them?

Felisek

They'll work just fine, you just have to use the DX Crop Mode on the D610... Of course that means your D610 is now a 10MP DX format camera but DX lenses WILL work on full frame bodies in their Crop Mode.

Technically, you are right. However, if you want to use a D610 in crop mode, you might just as well buy a D7100 :)

Nero

Firstly it depends on if you ever wanna shoot with an FX camera. If yes, you might as well get the D610. You'll save money.

epark1281

I've always thought that if you want to purchase a FF camera you:
1. Have mastered the use of your existing crop camera
2. Are using your FF camera to turn a profit (i.e. professional use).

OR!

3. You've got a lot of disposable income and want to throw money at a hobby.

Nothing's wrong with 1-3.
3 just makes me jealous, is all.:cool:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Your best choice would be to get a used D7000, 35 1,8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8. With the money left, get yourself a good flash system with light modifiers (umbrellas or soft boxes). This will be a very good start as the lenses will eventually work with a FX and you will have the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL in a photographer's box : LIGHT.

BackdoorArts

There are soooo many variables in this decision that to let us make it for you is ridiculous. Read up on the differences, scour the internet and maybe try and shoot with the cheaper of the two to see if it delivers for you.

My take? You'll be primarily in a studio environment, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about the differences in ISO noise. Both should deliver fine portraits at virtually the same resolution. There are advantages to the larger sensor and pixel size of the D610, but those debates are all over this forum already. So, if I would caution you over anything it would be to consider the lack of anti-aliasing filter on the D7100 and realize that when shooting people certain fabric patterns are going to force you to deal with moire. If you don't know what that is, you're not ready to make a decision.

Were I in your shoes and forced to make a decision with a hard and fast budget of $2000, and these were my only options, I'd get the D7100 and a good 24-70mm f/2.8, which will give you essentially what a 35-105mm zoom would on the D610. Splurge on a good FX lens that will give you bokeh - you're a portrait photographer, you want great depth of field. A 50mm lens is nice, but if that's all you've got, you're out of business quickly shooting portraits with it.

If I could expand my choices I'd look for a deal on a used/refurb D600 and grab the same lens. If you're shooting below f/8 you're almost never going to need to worry about the shutter issue, though you can always send it in for a replacement shutter if it does present an issue, and after that, maybe a D610?

Blacktop

I don't see how mastering a FF camera is any more difficult or different than mastering a DX camera.

It's not about mastering any camera ,it's about mastering your technique. IMHO

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

2. Are using your FF camera to turn a profit (i.e. professional use).

OR!

3. You've got a lot of disposable income and want to throw money at a hobby.

Nothing's wrong with 1-3.
3 just makes me jealous, is all.:cool:

I beg to differ with all your assertions. If you want a 1, 2, 3...

1. You've encountered an insurmountable shortcoming of your DX sensor (high ISO noise, dynamic range).
2. You have encountered an insurmountable shortcoming of DX glass and want to take full advantage of the focal lengths offered by the FX glass (the "holy trinity" leaves you short on the 14-24mm f/2.8 end since it's effectively a 21-36mm).
3. You are an old school, film junky with great glass you want to use without having to think crop factor.

As for your points...
1. If you're not striving to "master" whatever camera is in your hands then you're not a serious photographer, so it's a moot point to even argue about any need to upgrade.
2. There are plenty of photographers "turning a profit" with cropped sensors, and plenty of serious hobbiests who want to take great pictures only for themselves, and would give away their work if someone appreciates it. A camera in the hands of a photographer is a tool, and if you are serious about your craft then you buy the tool that does the job you need it to do. I sell my work, and the funny thing is I've sold more photos taken with my D7000 and the 18-105mm kit lens I got with it than from my D600 & D800 combined. All 3 of them were purchased before I ever dreamed of the idea that someone would actually pay me for my work.
3. Any money spent on a hobby is thrown at it. When I taught guitar lessons I had kids pocket every penny they earned on paper routes because they wanted an instrument that did what they needed it to do and did not want to have to buy twice. I've hung out with bird watchers that have $3000 Zeiss binoculars and $4500 spotting scopes because to try and identify just what kind of sparrow is perched on that tree would be near impossible with a $300 pair of Bushnells. None of that was "disposable", it was earned dollars spent with a purpose in mind. To say that an amateur with a D4 squandered needless cash is ludicrous if that amateur is using that camera with purpose and joy, and to assume they did that because they didn't need a second Jag in the garage is juvenile, so maybe someone needs to grow up.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I don't see how mastering a FF camera is any more difficult or different than mastering a DX camera.

It's not about mastering any camera ,it's about mastering your technique. IMHO

I agree with this, I started with film 35mm and Medium format, Actually went backwards with crop and now I'm back to full frame, wait, isn't that where I started? Sheesh...

john*thomas

The 610 is the "better" camera. For what you say you are going to use if for I might go with the 610. I have a D7100 but I use mine in a different way than a portrait camera. I wish the D7100 was a little smaller yet for what I use a camera for.

I was climbing the side of a hillside yesterday with the footing less than solid and I'm glad my camera wasn't any larger than what it is.

Jesus, you guys are quickly! haha
Well, gonna give more details:

Your best choice would be to get a used D7000, 35 1,8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8. With the money left, get yourself a good flash system with light modifiers (umbrellas or soft boxes). This will be a very good start as the lenses will eventually work with a FX and you will have the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL in a photographer's box : LIGHT.

To be fair I dont really wanna shot in studios, at first I'll shot people & pets at meetings, parks, etc....

My take? You'll be primarily in a studio environment, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about the differences in ISO noise. Both should deliver fine portraits at virtually the same resolution. There are advantages to the larger sensor and pixel size of the D610, but those debates are all over this forum already. So, if I would caution you over anything it would be to consider the lack of anti-aliasing filter on the D7100 and realize that when shooting people certain fabric patterns are going to force you to deal with moire. If you don't know what that is, you're not ready to make a decision.

As I said, one day I may need a studio or something, but for now I'll shot at public places or home.
I love animals, all of them, from insects to the big ones, specially dogs, so I may start and focus on common pets, like dogs, cats, etc... but, having in mind my limited budget, I cannot get a D610 + 3 or 4 lenses for get it all, for now, I can get a D610 + $500 lens, or, a D7100 + $1K lens(es).
I can live for a while with one lens, and I may be able to get other lenses in the end of the year, but for now, and for now I mean the next 4-6 months, $2k is my budget!
So, if I go for a FX, I'll get a 85mm lens at the begining, but I'll be able to get other lenses in the next 6 months, and if I go for DX I may be able to get kinda a kit with more lenses.
What a doubt, I'm almost going for D610!

Btw, thanks for your time!

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

The flexibility of having a zoom as an only lens cannot be understated. If you're going for the D610 don't shortchange the quality of the 24-85mm kit zoom. It lived on my D600 for ages, and you may be able to find a deal on a kit that fits your budget - or great deals on hardly used ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.