Raw files nikon 610

Gareth Price

I have been using a Nikon D3200 and importing raw files into lightroom v4.4 without difficulty. I have recently bought a D610 and whenever I try to import files into Lightroom, it reads the files and says files not recognised. Is there a patch or something that I need to enable my lightroom to recognise D610 raw files?

BackdoorArts

What Eduard said. Adobe added D610 support a couple versions of LR/ACR ago. If you're on LR5 it's a simple upgrade. If you're on LR4 then you'll need to buy the latest version, or download the latest PSD conversion tool (free) and convert to PSD before import.

aroy

You can also use Nikon ViewNX-2 to convert the files to 16 bit tiff and then processing them in Light room.

Mark F

I would use nikon view nx unless you really want to purchase the Lightroom upgrade. Adobe and all the third party software love it when camera makers come out with a new model. They push out a need to pay upgrade and make money. If all you are using Lightroom for is conversion, view nx is free and works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

FYI, the DNG conversion utility Adobe provides is free as well, and a D610 DNG file should be compatible with old version of LR.

BackdoorArts

I was convinced fairly early on to convert to DNG on import mainly for backward compatibility with software, should I ever find the need. The one drawback I found was that a site that post photo challenges require winning entries to be verified with the original RAW file to check dates and make sure no illegal edits were performed, and they do not accept DNG files as it "changes" the original RAW file. This rendered my entire back catalog unusable in contests that allow you to go back. The site is a PITA and I've since left in disgust over some of the nonsense there, but if stuff like this is important to you then at least back up the NEF files to an external drive after conversion so you have them.