Editing Histograms?

RocketCowboy

Did a quick forum search and just saw threads referring to tweaking the histogram for a raw picture, but where can I learn the how-to?

I haven't spent any time learning a process for post-processing pictures after I've shot them, instead I'm still in the mindset of getting the best picture on the camera like back when all I had was film (and I was dependent on someone else to develop that film). I'm pretty certain I don't have all the basics of the camera sorted out yet, but looking at some of the vacation pics that were taken I have several that I need to see if I can't enhance.

Any pointers on where to start? Today I'm using Aperture on the Mac, but I also have an Adobe CC account and loaded Lightroom to start experimenting.

RON_RIP

I use Aperture exclusively.As you edit your photo you can see the changes mirrored in the histogram. Although Lightroom seems to be the most preferred editor everything i need done to a photo can be achieved in Aperture. Guess it depends on your expectations.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Did a quick forum search and just saw threads referring to tweaking the histogram for a raw picture, but where can I learn the how-to?

I haven't spent any time learning a process for post-processing pictures after I've shot them, instead I'm still in the mindset of getting the best picture on the camera like back when all I had was film (and I was dependent on someone else to develop that film). I'm pretty certain I don't have all the basics of the camera sorted out yet, but looking at some of the vacation pics that were taken I have several that I need to see if I can't enhance.

Any pointers on where to start? Today I'm using Aperture on the Mac, but I also have an Adobe CC account and loaded Lightroom to start experimenting.
@BackdoorHippie made a couple of videos showing how to do this. The first one shows how to edit the RAW histogram in Photoshop. It has to do with the levels adjustment. It is post #2 of this thread:

http://nikonites.com/learning-photography/23379-jakes-compilation-video-tutorials.html#axzz34Z25Tute

Then he explained how to achieve a very similar result using Lightroom. It is post #21 here:

http://nikonites.com/learning-photo...pilation-video-tutorials-3.html#axzz34Z25Tute

RocketCowboy

I use Aperture exclusively.As you edit your photo you can see the changes mirrored in the histogram. Although Lightroom seems to be the most preferred editor everything i need done to a photo can be achieved in Aperture. Guess it depends on your expectations.
@RON : do you know of any Aperture training resources I can get my hands on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

@BackdoorHippie made a couple of videos showing how to do this. The first one shows how to edit the RAW histogram in Photoshop. It has to do with the levels adjustment. It is post #2 of this thread:

http://nikonites.com/learning-photography/23379-jakes-compilation-video-tutorials.html#axzz34Z25Tute

Then he explained how to achieve a very similar result using Lightroom. It is post #21 here:

http://nikonites.com/learning-photo...pilation-video-tutorials-3.html#axzz34Z25Tute

Thanks @hark! I'll check those out!

RON_RIP

@RON : do you know of any Aperture training resources I can get my hands on?

I train at Apple's One to One sessions at my local Apple store other than that, one of the local colleges had Aperture training but it was very expensive. Apple has been very lax about promoting and encouraging the use of their editing programs.

RocketCowboy

I train at Apple's One to One sessions at my local Apple store other than that, one of the local colleges had Aperture training but it was very expensive. Apple has been very lax about promoting and encouraging the use of their editing programs.

I didn't even think about that. I've got a friend who works at one of the local Apple stores ... I'll check to see what's available around here. Thanks!