which lenses to take to France?

eal1

going to Paris, Normandy and Brittany for two weeks. Flying Saturday evening, thinking of which lenses to bring for my D610.
I have the 24-85 kit lens, a 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 105/2.8 ((too heavy to bring i think) and an older 80-200/4.5-5.6D that i haven't used
in years but it works on the 610.
What do you think i should bring? I want to go relatively light so my first inclination was to bring the 24-85 and the 50. Now i am
reconsidering. Any thoughts to share? I would appreciate the advice.

eal1

I would want the 50 for low light, indoors shots - Notre Dame for instance. The 24-85 and 80-200 would give me nice wide to tele daylight coverage, but indoors i would have a problem. Maybe i should take those and the 50.

Blacktop

I would take 1 Prime, and 1 Zoom.

You're going to need a wide angle so the zoom would be the 24-85.
having said that the prime should be the 105 then.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would take the 24-85 and the prime 50 1.4. You might even feel the 24 isn't wide enough in some places. But you can always take a few more shots and then stitch in a panorama in post processing.

When I went to Vietnam a few years ago, I only took my Tamron 28-200 and my 50 1.8. The Tamron isn't my best lens, but it is my lightest. Carrying weight on a daily basis, I think that you will regret the 80-200 if you take it. But every person is allowed his/her opinion.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Personal experience when it comes to documenting my travel to certain places dictates a medium zoom lens is my most used lens.

24mm will cover most landscape during the day. 50mm or possibly a 35mm prime will be a good compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I would take the 24-85 and the prime 50 1.4. You might even feel the 24 isn't wide enough in some places.

Personal experience when it comes to documenting my travel to certain places dictates a medium zoom lens is my most used lens.

Glenn and Marcel beat me to the comment. I totally agree with their recommendations. I've been to Normandy and Paris multiple times as well. In my experience, bring your medium zoom as well as your fastest and widest lens(es). Have fun!!!

eal1

i definitely will take the 24-85 and 50. I will consider whether i want to carry the 80-200. I think not at this point, but i have until
Saturday to make up my mind. Weight is a consideration, but that lens (D lens) is not heavy. However, carrying it with the others gets
heavy!
Thanks for the advice. I wish i had a wider lens than the 24-85, but that will have to suffice for this trip.

Blacktop

i definitely will take the 24-85 and 50. I will consider whether i want to carry the 80-200. I think not at this point, but i have until
Saturday to make up my mind. Weight is a consideration, but that lens (D lens) is not heavy. However, carrying it with the others gets
heavy!
Thanks for the advice. I wish i had a wider lens than the 24-85, but that will have to suffice for this trip.

You know, you can always rent a telephoto in France if you need it.
At least I think you can.