Did shutter speed affect this?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
During the drama department's production, they showed a video. This is one of the photos I took of the video. It is one of the students standing in the school's hallway. The other photos I shot of the video showed either a little light green or light pink from the hallway's fluorescent lights, but when this photo showed up on the back of my camera, I let out a 'Whoa!' because I wasn't expecting this color. With many of the other photos, I changed my aperture which then changed my shutter speed, but does changing the shutter speed affect the color shift that the camera records from fluorescent lights? This one was a faster shutter speed than the others but this had a wider aperture. The other photos allowed their faces to be visible. The exposure was still comparable for the lighting conditions. It reminds me of a sci-fi movie. :)

Since I was not standing directly in front of the screen, I don't know if that is a factor--I was at an angle to the screen where the video was being shown. This was first edited in LR5 to straighten then I went to Photoshop CC to add the text. Even though I'm using the same type and style font that I used in PSE10, the font sure looks different. In fact, lots of things look different in Photoshop CC than in PSE10. ;)

Video photo resize.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Shutter speed cannot alter the colors being recorded by the sensor. However, video has a frequency (frames per second) and it's entirely possible your fast shutter speed recorded a fraction of one of the video frame cycles (if that makes any sense). I'm just guessing but perhaps a single frame of a video changes color as the frame initially opens up and/or as the frame closes, and maybe you simply caught a portion of that frame cycle giving you this strange color effect?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Shutter speed cannot alter the colors being recorded by the sensor. However, video has a frequency (frames per second) and it's entirely possible your fast shutter speed recorded a fraction of one of the video frame cycles (if that makes any sense). I'm just guessing but perhaps a single frame of a video changes color as the frame initially opens up and/or as the frame closes, and maybe you simply caught a portion of that frame cycle giving you this strange color effect?

That is EXACTLY what I'm wondering, Dave!!! ;) I know the shutter speed itself shouldn't affect color, but I suspect it has something to do with the video and how a video frame gets captured.

480sparky

Shutter speed cannot alter the colors being recorded by the sensor. .........

Yes it can. If you're shooting under artificial lights, they WILL flicker according to the AC cycling. And that flickering changes the color temperature of the light.

nickt

I think this is what Dave said. Its sort of like trying to photograph an old tube tv screen. At the right shutter speed, you get crazy results because the pictue is actually being light painted and our persistence of vision makes it all good. You get the shutter speed too fast, and you get a partial painting.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this video projector is 'painting' the picture like an old tv and you got an 'unfinished' painting.

We had a talk here awhile back about fluorescent lights. http://nikonites.com/d7100/19992-st...era-playback-help-please-3.html#axzz30nwvUJRo
A similar thing happens with florescent lights. They are turning on and off with line frequency, varying brightness and color. Our eyes just see the final painting, blending all those instantaneous color changes together but when the shutter speed gets fast enough, you start to see funny things. Towards the end of that thread I posted a string of pictures of a light at various shutter speeds. I don't think what you shot was the result of fluorescent light on the screen, just a similar phenomenon with the video itself.

Dave_W

The Dude
Yes it can. If you're shooting under artificial lights, they WILL flicker according to the AC cycling. And that flickering changes the color temperature of the light.

Um, no. The shutter speed did not alter the color the sensor is seeing, the sensor merely recorded accurately the colors it was presented. Shutter speed has no affect whatsoever on the color the light is producing.

480sparky

Um, no. The shutter speed did not alter the color the sensor is seeing, the sensor merely recorded accurately the colors it was presented. Shutter speed has no affect whatsoever on the color the light is producing.

But it DOES affect WHICH color the sensor sees, depending on where in the AC cycle the shutter is open.

Artificial lights change color temps 120 times a second at 60Hz.

In the same way, the color temperature of daylight is on a 24-hour cycle and the color temp of it depends on when, in that 24-hour cycle, the shutter is opened.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
No, it does not affect anything. The color is the color, shutter speed bares no relationship with the color the source is producing. Shutter speed does allow the sensor to record different colors, yes, but it does not cause nor does it affect the light coming into the sensor.

480sparky

We're saying the same thing, just differently.

I never said the shutter affects the color of the lighting. But WHEN the shutter is open CAN affect what color the lighting JUST HAPPENS TO BE during the AC cycling.

Let's call the whole thing off.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Under some fluorescent lights, the shutter speed can affect the color Big Time. I remember doing some tests with my D90 under some cabinet fluorescents and as my shutter speed was getting faster, I was getting a strong color cast in only parts of the shot. I remember taking many shots and wondering what the problem was until I figured out that the shutter speed was too fast to capture the whole color balance of the fluorescents. I'll see if I can find them in my hard disk files.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I think this is what Dave said. Its sort of like trying to photograph an old tube tv screen. At the right shutter speed, you get crazy results because the pictue is actually being light painted and our persistence of vision makes it all good. You get the shutter speed too fast, and you get a partial painting.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this video projector is 'painting' the picture like an old tv and you got an 'unfinished' painting.

We had a talk here awhile back about fluorescent lights. http://nikonites.com/d7100/19992-st...era-playback-help-please-3.html#axzz30nwvUJRo
A similar thing happens with florescent lights. They are turning on and off with line frequency, varying brightness and color. Our eyes just see the final painting, blending all those instantaneous color changes together but when the shutter speed gets fast enough, you start to see funny things. Towards the end of that thread I posted a string of pictures of a light at various shutter speeds. I don't think what you shot was the result of fluorescent light on the screen, just a similar phenomenon with the video itself.

Nick, now that you mention your link, I do remember reading about it! Thanks for sharing it! :)

Dave, Sparky, Nick, and Marcel, thank you for the info. I do understand what all of you are saying and how that shutter speed doesn't change the light that is already there--it just freezes it to a nano second to produce what our eyes can't see naturally. The other video photos I shot had a combination of pale green and pale pink (with longer shutter speeds) and a medium green and medium pinkish mauve for an in between shutter speed. The discussion also reminded me that light is a frequency and has an amplitude just like a sound frequency.

I'm not allowed to use flash during the student productions, but it does make me wonder how flash might affect the color of a video's photo. I'm especially wondering how different of an effect it might create when taking photos under direct fluorescent lighting then comparing how the video's flicker rate factors into the equation. I'm not going to test it out though! ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
I think the problem is that scientists (me) have a much different definition of the word "affect" than non-scientists. There is also a tendency of non-scientists to use the word "affect" when they really mean "effect". But either way, shutter speed does not, nor will ever, "affect" the color a sensor is reading....ever.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the problem is that scientists (me) have a much different definition of the word "affect" than non-scientists. There is also a tendency of non-scientists to use the word "affect" when they really mean "effect". But either way, shutter speed does not, nor will ever, "affect" the color a sensor is reading....ever.

The scientist in you meets the grammarian in me. :cool:

Let me clarify further...the affect (influence or action) of the shutter's speed caused the effect. How does that affect you? ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, kinda. The problem is the sentence structure "affect the color" and what that actually means. The color is coming to and past the shutter unchanged, hence the shutter has no affect upon the color. The shutter would have to act upon the color in order to "affect" the color. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
For the record, it is possible to use both affect and effect in this situation with the color change. My intention was (and still is) to mean the the shutter's speed impacted/influenced (affected) the outcome (the effect).

It IS also possible to say that the shutter effected the photo; however, that wasn't the intention behind my meaning.

Now if you will excuse me, I do not wish to elaborate further on this particular discussion and will bow out of the conversation. I'm sure Dave_W will want the last word which is fine by me. I stand behind what I wrote. :)

Dave, the floor is yours. <Please don't read too much into that phrase> ;)

BackdoorArts

Is the proper question (that's already been answered) possibly, "Can the length of the shutter actuation distort the colors of an image as compared to the those perceived by the brain through the human eye?", or maybe even, "Is it possible for the length of a shutter actuation to affect the filtering of some portion of the light used to create a projection?"

:)