Did shutter speed affect this?

Eyelight

Though shutter speed may not influence the color of the light striking the sensor, would not shutter speed influence the saturation of the sensor, thereby influencing the color of the recorded image regardless of the light in question??

Dave_W

The Dude
Though shutter speed may not influence the color of the light striking the sensor, would not shutter speed influence the saturation of the sensor, thereby influencing the color of the recorded image regardless of the light in question??

Not in any way I can think of.

MeSess

I'm a little curious about this... say I'm taking a picture with a slower shutter speed of something that is quickly changing colors couldn't that affect the color that appears in the photo since the sensor is capturing multiple colors in the same spot?

nickt

I'm a little curious about this... say I'm taking a picture with a slower shutter speed of something that is quickly changing colors couldn't that affect the color that appears in the photo since the sensor is capturing multiple colors in the same spot?
Yes, it would. Its really the same thing that we are talking about above, just from a different perspective. If you had a light flashing green for 1 second and red for 1 second, you would probably get a yellow image if you shot it with a 2 second exposure. Shoot it at 1 second and you could see red or green or maybe even yellow if you caught half of each cycle. Speed that flashing up to 100 cycles per second and your eyes would see yellow and then we would be talking about the same situation as above. Our eyes just see a yellow light, shoot it at 1/100 or slower and you should get a yellow image just as you saw it. Shoot it faster than 1/100 second and you will start wondering why your picture is so red or green instead of yellow and its never exactly the same. That faster speed does not allow you to catch a full cycle and you don't get an even mix of colors. It is just high speed photography capturing the components of modern man-made light shining at us.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

No because the colors add up making the light whiter. It's when the shutter speed is faster than you get let's say a side yellower than the other to a weird color cast that is just part of the picture.

Eyelight

Few things occurred to me:

1) Some projectors have color wheels that spin in the path of the light to create the color. My grasp is the fastest ones turn at 14,400 RPM or 240 revs per second, so any faster shutter speed would freeze the wheel. Older projectors spin slower and would be equivalent to 60 or 120 revs per second. All this on the edge of my grey matter.

2) Regardless of color temperature the video was recording, the color temperature of images recorded during projection would be that of the projector's lamp. Fairly certain of this one.

I should probably add some sort of signature.