Cloudy Winter Night

jmaas

I came home one night about a month ago and saw the moon peek through the trees, decided to grab my camera and shot this. I like it even though its a bit blurry it kind of gives it a ghostly effect. Tell me what you all think. Iv'e been out of the loop for a while so thought I would jump back in. cloudynight.jpg

fotojack

I like the cold and spooky look. I think I would have cropped out the lower portion of the shot, leaving more of the upper branches visible, instead of the dark portion at the bottom.

Joseph Bautsch

I agree with Jack. Cropping will help the shot a lot. Re-crop placing the moon in the right top third intersection and eliminate a lot of the lower portion. This applies the rule of thirds. The tree line is just about in the center and should be more in the lower third. I don't know if you have done this but go into to the camera menu and turn on the view finder grid. That will divide the view finder into thirds with red lines. That is a great help in composing your shots as you shoot. The out of focus does create a spooky effect and made a good shot but I think this one, in focus, would have been much better. We would also like to know the EXIF data used for the shot as well as the lens used. That information helps to evaluate what was done and to make suggestions. This was a good capture, keep 'em coming.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Glad you're back "in the loop", jmaas! Cold and spooky is definitely what you got! Great cropping advice from Jack and Joseph!
Keep shooting and posting! Looking forward to more!