Nikon D5300 GPS Setup

Horoscope Fish

I'm having difficulty getting the GPS to work. Has anyone else experience the same problem and knows how I can fix it?
What exactly is the problem? If you're experiencing long delays before getting a solid lock on your coordinates, there's not much you can do about that. From what I hear the GPS chip used in the D5300 is a bit outdated and hence slow as proverbial molasses.

If you're serious about doing this whole geotagging thing you could drop dime on the Solmeta Geotagger N3 instead. This baby is THE BOMB when it comes to geotagging photos with your Nikon. If you're only mildly annoyed by the D5300's geotagging sluggishness, however, you probably won't want to spend the required $200.

Tainster

Following my post, I subsequently read that the gps wasn't great and can take several minutes to get a lock. Unfortunately I'm not getting a lock at all. Looking into it further, I get the impression that downloading and updating the A-GPS File may help. I'll try this and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tainster

I've loaded the A-GPS and it got a lock pretty much straight away. I took a few test shots to check the accuracy and saw that more that half had not recorded a location and those that did we're wildly varied and inaccurate being almost 150 miles out! I reloaded the A-GPS file and noted that, again it got a lock fair quickly, but it kept on dropping in and out and the locations were again inaccurate. I thought that the geotagging would be pretty useful but it's next to useless.

Any ideas about was I could try next?

John Braden

Thank you for your recommendation! I was having difficulties getting a GPS lock here at home, so I took your advise and got the N3c. I hope it works as advertised! I leave in ten days for my annual trip to Japan and this is the first time I use my new Nikon there so I want to get all the info I can. Thanks again!

John Braden

What exactly is the problem? If you're experiencing long delays before getting a solid lock on your coordinates, there's not much you can do about that. From what I hear the GPS chip used in the D5300 is a bit outdated and hence slow as proverbial molasses.

If you're serious about doing this whole geotagging thing you could drop dime on the Solmeta Geotagger N3 instead. This baby is THE BOMB when it comes to geotagging photos with your Nikon. If you're only mildly annoyed by the D5300's geotagging sluggishness, however, you probably won't want to spend the required $200.

Horoscope Fish, hello! I am having difficulties with the Geotagger N3c for my D5300. It seems the device has a satellite fix, but the camera doesn't let me "Record Data Location" in the Location Data menu. Is this because the camera doesn't read or recognize the device? The instructions that come with the device aren't the best in the world. Can you or anyone else help me?

Tainster

I know that this doesn't answer your question directly but it may be that you will get some help from Solmeta if you send them an email outlining the problem.

John Braden

I know that this doesn't answer your question directly but it may be that you will get some help from Solmeta if you send them an email outlining the problem.

Thank you Tainster! I have already sent them an e-mail concerning this. I just thought I'd try all my options to see if I can get a prompt response! I surely hope my camera and that model are compatible. If not, then it was an expensive mistake!

Horoscope Fish

The N3c is compatible with the '5300, according to Solmeta, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue.

This sounds more like a settings issue or a hardware conflict to me. Granted I don't know anything about using the Geotagger on a 5300 specifically but I have to wonder, since the 5300 already has an on-board GPS unit, if maybe THAT needs to be turned off, in-camera, in order to allow the N3c to record the data instead?

What are the instructions for installing the Geotagger? Maybe knowing those steps will help us figure this out...

John Braden

The N3c is compatible with the '5300, according to Solmeta, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue.

This sounds more like a settings issue or a hardware conflict to me. Granted I don't know anything about using the Geotagger on a 5300 specifically but I have to wonder, since the 5300 already has an on-board GPS unit, if maybe THAT needs to be turned off, in-camera, in order to allow the N3c to record the data instead?

What are the instructions for installing the Geotagger? Maybe knowing those steps will help us figure this out...

Horoscope Fish, thank you for responding. I'm trying, through trial and error to figure out what is going on. Without the device connected, the "Record Location Data" is lit, meaning one can set the mode. With the device connected, the same option is unlit, meaning you cannot set the mode. It's as if there appears to be a conflict when a device is connected to that port. I'm still waiting for Solmeta to e-mail back with a response. The reason I bought the device in the first place was because of what I read here and the fact that I never got past a blinking satellite icon when I was trying to use the on-board system from Nikon.

John Braden

EUREKA! I figured it out! The camera doesn't like an outside device, so it won't allow you to alter the settings. The Geotagger N3-c still embeds the GPS info in the photo. I found out by using the "map" option in the NX2 software! Duh! Don't I look like a fool now!

Horoscope Fish

EUREKA! I figured it out! The camera doesn't like an outside device, so it won't allow you to alter the settings. The Geotagger N3-c still embeds the GPS info in the photo. I found out by using the "map" option in the NX2 software! Duh! Don't I look like a fool now!
Well you shouldn't feel foolish, I don't think that would be obvious to anyone. I had a feeling it had to do with a hardware conflict or something along those lines.

Glad you got it figured out!

John Braden

Well you shouldn't feel foolish, I don't think that would be obvious to anyone. I had a feeling it had to do with a hardware conflict or something along those lines.

Glad you got it figured out!

Thank you! I'm glad as well! I received it yesterday and I leave for Japan on Monday! I didn't want to lose the opportunity to use it profusely! Thank you all!