Control Panel LCD staying on

rockypaul

Hi All
Just joined this forum after upgrading to a D7100 from a D5100, this has probably been asked before but cant find an answer, whatever lens i use whether it be Nikon, Sigma etc, if i have taken photos and turn off the camera the 'Control Panel LCD' on top of the camera stays on for a few about a minute, is there a setting somewhere to over come this please..?

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome!

I also have a 7100, when turning the camera off (no pic taken..) there is a very short delay... I just tried taking a picture and immediately turning it off, not much more delay at all (if any)

I have a class 10 95 mb /s card... Try turning it off without snapping a pic.. If it is a very short delay, sec or 2.. you should be good and I suspect that MikeW may be correct..

I tried a slower card for ref... no pic, still about a sec... taking a pic.. maybe 4 secs..
Check it and let us know...

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

The LCD top panel is always on when there's a battery in the camera. It doesn't show everything that's on when the camera is on, but you should see the count of images available to shoot on the card or [---] if there is no card in it.

RockyNH_RIP

The LCD top panel is always on when there's a battery in the camera. It doesn't show everything that's on when the camera is on, but you should see the count of images available to shoot on the card or [---] if there is no card in it.

Jake is absolutely correct!! I should have been more clear... My reference was to the main portion of the screen turning off, you will always see the count if a card in.. Thanks for adding clarity.. Appreciate it!

Pat in NH

skater

My 7000 will sometimes take several seconds to clear that screen after switching it off. It doesn't seem to be related to writing to cards - I've seen it happen when I hadn't been using the camera for some time. I only noticed this recently... I did a firmware update a few weeks ago that might be what changed it.

rockypaul

Jake is absolutely correct!! I should have been more clear... My reference was to the main portion of the screen turning off, you will always see the count if a card in.. Thanks for adding clarity.. Appreciate it!

Pat in NH

Thanks, yes i knew about the picture count, but this is the full control panel display staying on for up to 30 seconds if i take pictures, it could well be what Mike says and i will give it a test, it certainly turns off straight away if no picture is taken..

BackdoorArts

Thanks, yes i knew about the picture count, but this is the full control panel display staying on for up to 30 seconds if i take pictures, it could well be what Mike says and i will give it a test, it certainly turns off straight away if no picture is taken..

See if the green LED on the back is also on, which indicates the camera is still writing to the card. 30 seconds seems a lot even for a slow card. Have you formatted it in the camera?

BackdoorArts

I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you then try reformatting the card in the camera. Just curious, what kind of card is it?

Horoscope Fish

SDHC Card, maybe i should go for extreme pro cards now i have such a good camera...!!
We need to know what class of card you're using. It will display "class" number. Higher numbers denote a card with faster read/write speeds. The card below is "Class 6" for example...

SD-C6.jpg

rockypaul

We need to know what class of card you're using. It will display "class" number. Higher numbers denote a card with faster read/write speeds. The card below is "Class 6" for example...

SD-C6.jpg

Ahh i didnt know about the class, one card is class 4 & class 6, i guess that means they are slow and could be the reason why so long to close down when pictures are taken. So is 10 the fastest cards to get then..?

Deezey

Now are you turning it off after a long burst and it stays on that long? Or just a photo or two? The reason I ask is your buffer may be full and the camera may take a bit of time to clear the buffer and write everything to the card.

Geoffc

Hi All
Just joined this forum after upgrading to a D7100 from a D5100, this has probably been asked before but cant find an answer, whatever lens i use whether it be Nikon, Sigma etc, if i have taken photos and turn off the camera the 'Control Panel LCD' on top of the camera stays on for a few about a minute, is there a setting somewhere to over come this please..?

As a slight aside, I only turn my camera off if I think it may get activated when I'm travelling and it's in a bag. From my D70, D300, D800 and D7100 I leave it on as it reduces wear on the switch (probably silly to worry about that) and it is always ready to shoot, although I know a DSLR boots virtually instantly. I've left them on for months in the past and it barely touches the battery.

rockypaul

As a slight aside, I only turn my camera off if I think it may get activated when I'm travelling and it's in a bag. From my D70, D300, D800 and D7100 I leave it on as it reduces wear on the switch (probably silly to worry about that) and it is always ready to shoot, although I know a DSLR boots virtually instantly. I've left them on for months in the past and it barely touches the battery.

Thats good to know, may give that a go, thanks

rockypaul

Now are you turning it off after a long burst and it stays on that long? Or just a photo or two? The reason I ask is your buffer may be full and the camera may take a bit of time to clear the buffer and write everything to the card.

Usually two ro three pics, is there a way to check the buffer or not..?

Horoscope Fish

Ahh i didnt know about the class, one card is class 4 & class 6, i guess that means they are slow and could be the reason why so long to close down when pictures are taken. So is 10 the fastest cards to get then..?
Correct on both counts. Get only Class 10/UHS-1 rated cards. I also strongly suggest you just suck it up and pay the extra couple bucks for a well-known brand of card like Transcend, SanDisk or Lexar from a respected merchant: No eBay.