Hello from Ottawa

DenisSavoie

I'm a photographer and graphic designer.

I think the designer has overtaken the photographer aspect, as I most often setup and compose my images always with the thought of commercial applications, OR telling a story.

Of course I don't do that when shooting events or weddings, but bread and butter is not who I am. The work I post here is me.

Looking to learn and share ideas and techniques with all levels of passionate folk.

fotojack

Welcome, Denis, to Nikonites. Looking forward to seeing your work, and sharing ideas and techniques with you. :) You'll find the folks here passionate about their Nikons and their work. If you would fill out your profile with the gear you use, it will help us help you with any questions and concerns you may have while you're with us. Have fun and happy clicking.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Absolute and unabated passion here! lol Welcome to the forum. We're friendly and have a lot of fun while learning and sharing!
Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Best Regards

Joseph Bautsch

Hello Denis and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Really, really great shots in your gallery. Such talent is welcomed to the site. It's really amazing what can be done with no studio, very basic equipment and imagination. We would also welcome some input as to how you set up some of these shots, how they are shot and what post processing you use. I think you will find the site to be fun and friendly. Join us often.

Curt

Welcome to the forum fellow Canadian. Had a look at some of your work, very nice.
Hope to see more, great people here , sure you will enjoy being a member.

DenisSavoie

We would also welcome some input as to how you set up some of these shots, how they are shot and what post processing you use.

I love to share techniques. You don't need alot of room, just imagination and a decent lens.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR offers very little barrel distortion up close, so it's ideal for indoor use.

How do I go about sharing this info?

fotojack

I love to share techniques. You don't need alot of room, just imagination and a decent lens.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR offers very little barrel distortion up close, so it's ideal for indoor use.

How do I go about sharing this info?

You're doing it right now. :)

DenisSavoie

Being essentially poor, I developed low cost techniques that would cause light salesmen sleepless nights.

I figured I'm a smart guy. There has to be a way to create staged images without the benefit of a large studio. Light painting gave me the answer. I fell in love with the work of Emil Schildt, a master of light painting and asked how it was done.

Using a black background, a base textured fabric and small flashlights (pocket lamps or torches - depending where you're from), I found I was able to control where the light fell more accurately than I could with larger hot lights or strobes. Now before someone says that's not true, let me explain. I have a space to shoot that's 2m x 3 m, roughly 6' x 9' That means the light needs to be focused on a small area and fall off will bouce back into the frame from the white walls. The smaller lamps and a dark room meant that I could put light where I want and fade to black at the edges.
The fading to black also gives the impression of a larger stage that's just out of the path of light. It's a little voodoo trickery that the old Dutch masters used in painting.

If anyone wants to know how I create a specific image, basic starting points for lighting, I'll explain it step by step. It's simple enough with a little practice.

Joseph Bautsch

Denis, that's great. You do these shots in a 6'x9' space...really. Few of us have a lot of space, nor equipment to do studio type shooting. You can post photos in the critique forum where there can be an exchange of questions and answers. Where do you find these very lovely models for the shots? All I have around here is two cats and a wife and I can't get them to do anything like that!!!

DenisSavoie

Where do you find these very lovely models for the shots? All I have around here is two cats and a wife and I can't get them to do anything like that!!!

Thanks for the forum info. I'll do just that.
I find my models on ModelMayhem.com. It's a great community for photographers/models. You can search by state/province/city

Last edited: