Nikon SB900

meljophoto

I have a SB900 and I can't shoot more than 30 minutes before it get to its boiling point and quits....it's very frustrating. I shoot weddings and it is a HUGE problem...Also that flash on my D700 does this flutter light thing and then will not fire sometimes....does anyone else have this problem with the 900???? Help!

kaizen

The temperature shutdown is a known problem. I guess your are shooting in FP mode, where its getting even worse.
I recommend to increase the ISO on the camera to 400 or 800, so the flash has not to fire with 100% power every time.

Don't know what the "flutter light thing" is. My english is not good enough.

//
Kai

Joseph Bautsch

Hi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Sorry about your problem with the SB900. What you are describing, as indicated by Kaizen, happens when using the unit in rapid fire sequence whether it's in FP mode or fast single shutter releases over an extended period of time. The temperature shutdown is not a problem but a safety device to prevent damage to the unit. The constant discharge and recharging of the capacitor generates a lot of heat that causes the unit to shut down. A lot of units are designed so that you can't fire that fast to prevent it from overheating. This Nikon flash unit will allow a rapid fire for short bursts but not over an extended period of time. Continued sue of this flash in that manner will cause severe damage. You can increase the ISO as Kaizen suggests and it will give you more shots before it boils over again but that probably won't help that much. My suggestion with the SB900 is to develop a slower shooting technique or buy one of the other Nikon flash units they don't rapid fire like the SB900 will. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

naja

I have used a D700 almost since they came out and have not had that problem with the flash. The only time it has done anything like that is when it was switched to act as a master for another flashgun and it sent out the trigger flashes but not the main flash, and that is what it should do.

The SB900 is a great gun and I have used three of them for some years with no problems. I think Joseph may have hit the nail on the head when he says you are trying to use rapid fire techniques for far too long. I have used the gun in continuous mode for bursts of eight to ten shots with no problem. How long are you using the gun for without a break? Of course, the ambient temperature will also effect how quickly it cools down, so if you are somewhere very hot it will not cool so quickly. In the frozen UK we do not have that problem - unfortunately!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kaizen

Another thing you can do is: Don't use the diffuser in this situation. The diffuser forces the zoom of the SB-900 to go wide angle, meaning
the bulb is right behind the glass. This means there is not much air to cool it.

fotojack

I don't have those problems with my SB-600. ;) But I'm definitely going to save up for an SB-700. Everything I've read about it tells me it's the one to get, with less weight and size than a 900.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I also have never had either of mine overheat, and I've shot pretty rapid at a wedding. I don't know if this matters, but I did use a power pack with. sorry about your problem.

Best Regards

meljophoto

Thanks every one, I use it to shoot at weddings, I do shoot a lot and I was using a Fong diffuser...never thought about that being a problem, I will try not using it next time. I was on TTL BL FP at 640 ISO and 60th of a second shutter for most of the reception. I will google and youtube the issue....thanks for the advice. The flutter thing I was talking about is when the flash emits an intermittent flutter of light from the flash without me actually making the flash go off. I am told it may have to do with my shoe not being tight enough to make a secure connection between the flash and the camera. I shoot a D700. Again thanks everyone...