D610 for Christmas...

fiVe

I've pulled the trigger on an order for a D610! (This is an upgrade from a Canon crop body.) It should arrive by mid-month, and I'm very excited to become an official member of the Nikon DSLR family.

R/fiVe

DraganDL

Since you have had a cropped Canon, some people here will probably like to know why didn't you choose one of the Canon's full frames (since you had, most likely, obtained a few EF lenses along the way)?

Last edited:

eli

I'm also interested in why the switch from Canon. I'm waiting for a NIkon 610 or, perhaps, switching to Canon - either way, within a few short months i will move up from the NIkon D7000. SO, why the switch to the 610 while possessing Canon equipment? Please tell.

fiVe

So I’ve been asked why the switch from Canon to Nikon. My answer is not very scientific, but here is the long summary.......

For the past 4 years, Mrs. five and I have been pursuing our photography hobby with the Canon T1i. The majority of our lenses are AF-S mounts which are made for the crop-body sensor. We are ready to move up to a full frame and take our photography to the next level. Since we would be learning a new camera, I decided researching the offerings from Nikon and Canon. I discovered the recently released D610 from Nikon that was classified as a solid Pro/Semi-Pro camera and not as entry-level as the new Canon 6D full frame. An added bonus is the number 610 which is our anniversary (a silly point to some, but special to us). Via some extensive internet research/reviews, I saw the strengths/weaknesses of the D610, and it just clicked that this is the one for us. On top of all this, I find an Amazon deal for the D610 and a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Lens with various other accessories. So, everything just came together to go with this new Nikon. I’ll be the first to admit that I have not extensively researched the differences between Canon and Nikon (no flames please), but I have always heard it basically depends on whichever brand you started with. Years ago, we shot film with a Nikon N50, and we are excited about returning to the Nikon world.

R/fiVe

DraganDL

Thank you for the explanation! That makes sense, except, maybe for that lens (28-300). Personally, I would never go for such broad focal range (28-200mm, maybe, and a couple of primes, or a zoom 14-24mm). But then again, the choice is yours, of course...

fiVe

Thank you for the explanation! That makes sense, except, maybe for that lens (28-300). Personally, I would never go for such broad focal range (28-200mm, maybe, and a couple of primes, or a zoom 14-24mm). But then again, the choice is yours, of course...

I know the lens covers a lot of ground, but it seems to generally have good reviews. I would be very interested in your opinion. I have some knowledge of Canon lenses. Is Nikon much different? Any information/education you could provide would be much appreciated.

DraganDL

Welcome to the world of Nikon ! Now get the the 50mm f/1.8G and the world will just open up :cool:

100% correct - NO lens can replace the good old 50mm (being AF or not, having a VR or not)... In terms of sheer quality, it's as good as it gets. In terms of usability, it will do the job in almost every situation - most of the landscapes, all flavors of portraiture, some close ups, some architecture, weddings, birthday parties...

fotojack

You're getting a D610 for Christmas? Hell, I'll be lucky to get a pair of socks! ;)

Welcome to Nikonites, and congrats on your upcoming entry into the world of Nikon....again. ;)