I joined the "I dropped my D800" club...

joenmina1

I placed my D800 + Nikkor 24-70 2.8 +SB 600 + Blackrapid RS-7 on the coffee table and then watched in horror as it took a slo-mo tumble onto the floor...thank god for a thick carpet. I always worried about the BR RS-7 strap as it precludes the camera body from sitting flat on its base but liked everything else about the strap. I don't think I will be using it anymore. Fortunately, no visible damage and the camera operates normally. My life did flash in front of my eyes as I recalled Thom Hogan's recent piece on the surprising fragility of the D800 after a drop. I really baby my gear so this was shocking to say the least! I will be ordering an OpTech strap soon!

Bill16

You don't really need a new strap, just the bos tail. It made it so your able to use the strap mount instead of the tripod mount.
I use the black rapid strap and bought the bos tail to cure just what you've worried about. I'm sure glad your Nikon survived! :D

carguy

Sorry about the drop, but I'll be the first to day I doubt the strap mounting choice played a large factor in this accident ;)

fotojack

This is how I set all my cameras on a shelf or table when I need to set it down for a moment:

JT2_2031.jpg

grandpaw

This is how I set all my cameras on a shelf or table when I need to set it down for a moment:

View attachment 61052

Jack, that is exactly what I do. I believe it is safer and much easier to pick up the camera when you need it. I might add that the two smaller fingers on my right hand have been trimmed off by about an inch each from the result of a disagreement with my table saw.

Scott Murray

Just ordered 2 x BosStrap double connectors as I do not like the way the Rapid connects to the tripod mount. And have been using my D800E with no strap...

Mooseknux

I joined the " I dropped my D800 club" I was doing some street photography in Downtown Dallas a few weeks back and the screw from my Black Rapid strap totally unscrewed while i was walking around, it took a 3 1/2 foot drop off the side of my hip and landed lens first on the concrete, thank god i had filter and lens hood on my 85.. Needless to say the camera still works fine, scared the crap outta me, but still works fine

Jonathan

This is how I set all my cameras on a shelf or table when I need to set it down for a moment

That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest! Simples. I'm still going to look up this "bos tail" thing

Edit: can't find on Amazon. Can someone post a link?

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I joined the " I dropped my D800 club" I was doing some street photography in Downtown Dallas a few weeks back and the screw from my Black Rapid strap totally unscrewed while i was walking around, it took a 3 1/2 foot drop off the side of my hip and landed lens first on the concrete, thank god i had filter and lens hood on my 85.. Needless to say the camera still works fine, scared the crap outta me, but still works fine

I'm glad that you didn't have to endure what I am experiencing.

Can you post a picture of the lens filter that saved your lens? Thanks.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes, but had the rubber absorbed some of the impact perhaps the internals may have fared better?

From what I have read from other sources aside from my personal experience, the D800 is a little bit more fragile (internally) which requires a more gentler handling.

Sent from my iPhone.