post editing software

paulamazoo

new to the slr community and loving learning how to use my d90. the software that came with the program, however, seems to be lacking. does anyone have any tips on how to use the software that comes with the d90 for post editing. right now it seems the only thing it is good for is converting RAW to JPEG. thanks! paula

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Paula. I'm sure there are a few D90 owners in here that can help you out. They'll be along shortly. :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Paula and welcome. Which software are you talking about? Is it ViewNX or CaptureNX2? If it is ViewNX as I suspect, converting NEF to JPEG and viewing files is all that it can do.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Capture NX2 is a product developed by Nik Software for Nikon to post process your images. It has great potential but is slow to be updated and somewhat difficult to use. I would slot it somewhere between Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop as far as capabilities.

Joseph Bautsch

Paula, the software you are using, as you are finding out, isn't going to do what you want and Eduard is right about Nik. With any Nikon DSLR camera the program you should start with should be to manage your photos and provide a good set of photo adjustments. Right now the two best on the market are Lightroom 3.3 for PC users and Aperture 3 for Apple users. These programs will help you keep your picture files organized so that you quickly find the ones you are looking for and provide a means for you to do most of the post processing you want. Both are intuitive, user friendly and integrate with, working quite well with Adobe and a lot of other more advanced post processing programs. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Paula, the software you are using, as you are finding out, isn't going to do what you want and Eduard is right about Nik. With any Nikon DSLR camera the program you should start with should be to manage your photos and provide a good set of photo adjustments. Right now the two best on the market are Lightroom 3.3 for PC users and Aperture 3 for Apple users. These programs will help you keep your picture files organized so that you quickly find the ones you are looking for and provide a means for you to do most of the post processing you want. Both are intuitive, user friendly and integrate with, working quite well with Adobe and a lot of other more advanced post processing programs. You really can't go wrong with either one.

The only thing I would add to this excellent advice is that Lightroom is available for both the PC and the Mac. Lightroom might appear more expensive but one thing to remember is that the license allows you to install it on two machines (e.g. desktop and laptop).

Joseph Bautsch

The Aperture 3 license agreement also allows you to use the program on a Mac desk top and a laptop at the same time as long as you are the owner of both machines.