Rules of Photography

AxeMan - Rick S.

Lurking around the forums this week I keep running into references to the Rules of Photography. The one rule everyone talks about and seams to get hung up on is the Rule of Thirds and does not go beyond that. I understand that and don't need any more explanation of it. So what else am I missing?

So here is what I've come up on the web and here:

Rule of thirds
Classic rule of three composition / odds

Not rules of Photography but to great Blog Posts by members:

Twelve Elements of a Merit Image
http://nikonites.com/blogs/ohkphoto/44-twelve-elements-merit-image.html

Depth of Field Primer - Part I & II
http://nikonites.com/blogs/joseph-bautsch/36-depth-field-primer-part-i.html
http://nikonites.com/blogs/joseph-bautsch/37-depth-field-primer-part-ii.html

naja

The links you have added are all very good, but I think most photographers (and I stand to be corrected here) would say that there are no RULES only guidelines. Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

The Rule of thirds is not to do with odds or three at all, it is a simplified form of the Ancient Greek Golden Rule.

If you divide your image into three parts both across the scene and from top to bottom you will end up with nine squares.

For reasons that are not entirely known the image is stronger and more pleasing if points of interest are placed at the intersection of the dividing lines.

Another GUIDELINE is that it is more pleasing to have space in front of a moving object as is leaving something for it to more into, rather than have it behind the object.

Also, again I cannot explain why, but western viewers seem to prefer objects on a left to right plane rathe than a right to left plane. It might be something to do with the way we read left to right, and so our eyes are used to working in that way.

I am sure others will have much more advice for you, and probably put it better, as I am in England and do not always get the right parlance for explaining things to people across the pond. The best advice I can give you is to try the various guidelines for yourself and then make up you mind what works for you and what does not. Also know when to break the rules. An example of this is that although the Rule of Thirds is generally accepted as better than putting things in the centre, reflections are an exception. They do look better across the centre of an image.

Have a look at the excellent members albums on the site and see what images you think are good and what you do not like so much, and then try to work out why. It really will help even if it sounds like homework.

Good luck!!

naja

Thanks for that Joe, I always get concerned because words we use in UK do not always have he same use or meaning in US, despite the so called common language; and I would not want to add more confusion rathe than help to make things clear.

I still think he will learn most from studying the images on here and deciding which ones he likes and why he likes those and not others. That is one of the huge assets and tools for learning the site provides.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Wish I had access to this saying a long time ago . . . could have worked my way out of a lot of situations! LOL

Good post, Naja!

AxeMan - Rick S.

Thanks for the replies, I understand that rules (guidelines) are meant to be broken. What I was taught about rules (guidelines) they are written on a piece of paper, and if you take that paper you can bend it. so it's flexible and so are the rules you don't always "Have to Follow" them.

I have looked at other people photos and have downloaded many of them and have spent hours looking at them in Photoshop CS5 and EXIF readers.

I know some people are not post processing fans, however I also love using this software as a learning tool because you can always get an answer to what if this was changed or what were the setting they used on that shot. I've taken a lot of my own photo's and just by applying the thirds rule to them I have had pleasing results, some of them the "rule" does not apply and is better off left the way it was.

Now when I take a picture I think how the rules (guidelines) MAY apply to the shot. I still stay relaxed and do my thing and don't stress about applying them. Then if needed go into postproduction and make the changes and see how they look.

The rules that I have pointed out already I understand and or I am learning them as I go along. I guess what I am asking is there anything else I my have missed along the way?

In the short time I been here I have learned so much I cannot tell you.

Thanks
Rick

Browncoat

8 Rules of Photography:

1) Rule of Thirds. This is probably the most widely used "rule" of composition. Divide your image frame up into 9 equal parts and align elements of the photo along these lines.

2) Leading Lines. Pull your viewers' eyes into the photo with lines.

3) Balance. Whether it be colors or design elements, great photos have a main subject and another object of lesser importance.

4) Symmetry/Patterns. These occur naturally or can be man-made. This is especially evident in architectural photography work.

5) Depth. Photography is a two-dimensional art form, and therefore it is important to add depth to make accurate representations.

6) Background. Whether you choose to show a busy scene, blur it out, or use a backdrop, what is behind your main subject can be vitally important.

7) Viewpoint/Perspective. Where you take the photo from has dramatic effects on the final composition. Choose wisely!

8) Cropping. How will your frame your final image?

Browncoat

There are probably more "rules", but I think that's a fairly universal listing. A great photograph will invariably fall into one of these two categories:

• Those who abide by the rules
  • Those who break them
In my mind, Ansel Adams represents the former group, as his compositions were flawless. It's almost as if he worked from a textbook or checklist to make sure that his photos were fundamentally sound in every way. I would imagine that is why his work has set such a standard.

Duane Michals represents that latter. For those who have never heard of him, check out his work. Here's my favorite quote from him, which should give you a glimpse of what to expect:

"When people ask me what I am, I tell them I'm the artist formally known as a photographer."