The Graying Of Traditional Photography

BackdoorArts

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Read this on one of the photography blogs I regularly visit. Given that I'm almost in the "50 & over, male" demographic I read it with great interest, if only to see if personal prejudices are blinding me to aspects of photography that I should really be concentrating on. I'll reserve comment for later if there's any discussion.

The Graying Of Traditional Photography And Why Everything Is Getting Re-Invented In A Form We Don't Understand By Kirk Tuck | DIYPhotography.net

Jake, thanks for posting this link. It made me realize that it's been a while since I've had any of my photographs printed on a hard medium. If internet and web galleries become the norm, then the cameras will certainly get smaller as the quality doesn't have to be the same as for billboard printing of ads.

I've been lurking at smaller packages to carry on vacation just to reduce the weight and size of luggage to take on planes, but what keeps me with FX or DX is my familiarity with the controls and the feel of the camera. I shopped and held a Nex-6 in the store and it just didn't feel right, like it wasn't a camera... Now maybe if I'd just get it I might get used to it, but I still, for now, prefer the camera as I've known them all my life.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Jake that article was great. It does a better job of summarizing my thoughts/dilemma regarding whether to Continue With Nikon. This seems to be a consistent discussion on various forums and one that is overdue. It will be interesting to see the evolution over the next couple years. I'd add that Thom Hogan recently had a related post called The Nikon Customer Leak Problem that you might find interesting.

Rick M

The new "Df" certainly cements what the author is saying. Too many of us are living in the past, but that's ok if you reach your goals. The problem in my opinion is those photographers that allow their final product to live in the past. One of my many thoughts about my recent show was if I was standing there with "traditional", technically perfect prints, I would not have made any money.

BackdoorArts

The new "Df" certainly cements what the author is saying. Too many of us are living in the past, but that's ok if you reach your goals. The problem in my opinion is those photographers that allow their final product to live in the past. One of my many thoughts about my recent show was if I was standing there with "traditional", technically perfect prints, I would not have made any money.

I don't think the author is speaking so much of the goals of us in the "graying" demographic as much as he's commenting on how the market is driven by the expectations of those of us happy carrying around our 4-5 lbs of equipment, and questions whether or not companies are better off listening to other voices lest they be left behind. I have to say that I've reached a point where I am firmly convinced that if I buy another DSLR in the next 2-4 years (outside of replacing damaged equipment) I am a complete idiot. There's nothing out there or on the horizon that can possibly help me as a photographer where that's concerned. Perhaps a lens or two, but otherwise if there's an itch I've been wondering whether or not to scratch it's that compact and flexible mirrorless for just walking about, and working in a "limited" format - like the idea of shooting with nothing but a 50mm. Thankfully, without a decent camera shop anywhere nearby I'm left to reading about them instead of fondling them, and I'm not all that excited by that. I do believe I have a place for both, but for now I'm content. But that's just this morning.

Steve B

I agree with him for the most part but the problem I see with this article is that he is focused on changes that he is seeing in the U.S. The camera industry is driven by the global economy and as we all know that has changed dramatically over the last decade. Emerging markets are having an impact since that is where the money is.

PapaST

I see what the author is saying and agree he has some very good insight into today's market. But in my opinion I believe part of his woes are from internal struggles with himself. It would seem that anyone currently holding a DSLR camera is doomed to fate he has forecasted. The market will change and most people will evolve with it. It's that simple. I personally think the author is just having a hard time coping with what we all most do, grow old.

WayneF

I don't think the author is speaking so much of the goals of us in the "graying" demographic as much as he's commenting on how the market is driven by the expectations of those of us happy carrying around our 4-5 lbs of equipment, and questions whether or not companies are better off listening to other voices lest they be left behind.

I agree that is his point. The one part I particularly enjoyed was near the end, he says:

Where is photography going? Where it always gone. It's going along for the ride with popular culture. It's the traditionalists that feel a sense of loss but the sense of loss is from the constant evolution of tastes and styles. If you look at photo history you'll see generational warfare at every junction. Resistance to smaller camera formats! Resistance to color film! Resistant to SLR cameras! Resistance to automation!

He got that right, resistance to change old methods. All those of a certain age surely remember all of that, and I think it was his major point.

He left out the specific controversy about putting a light meter into the camera (a year or two before 1960). Nikon did not do it until middle 60s. Some of that was comparing incident hand held meters to reflected meters, and a tiny bit was about spot meters, but mostly was about how could such an embedded meter ever be trusted to be IN THE CAMERA? And then a bit later after a little acceptance, could the camera be trusted to zero the light meter, or should we zero it ourselves?

I was influenced back then to ignore color film for quite a few years, which of course was a huge and regretted mistake.

The one exception was that I think it was instead Kodaks manufacturing cost that kept pushing all the tiny film formats like disks and 110.. No one that understood anything wanted that. Those that didn't understand didn't know or care.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

I don't know if the writer broke any new ground with his piece. He wrote, "What it really means for the camera industry is that the tools they offer the new generation must be more intuitively integrated and less about "ultimate."

Whether they are passionate about cars, model trains, woodworking or cameras, most hobbiests seek the ultimate because we care deeply about the quality of what we produce and we find that learning the complexities can be fun and challenging. Conversely, many people have little interest in how things work and are content with the results they get with exerting as little effort as possible. Sure, simplicity rules in this mass market era, and that's not news.

Moab Man

I found the article very correct, but I've also ran into burgeoning opportunity. With all the crappy pictures becoming the norm I'm being bombarded with people wanting to hire me to photograph them and their family for prints. Then, on the other side of the coin, I have people requesting my services so that they have great pictures for their Facebook pages.

My point, I'm seeing a growing appreciation for pictures that don't suck.

BackdoorArts

His comparison to the music industry is one I've made. Technology has made it such that anyone can make a record, and most of them are hideous. Consumers still buy what the big media companies push on them. And there are still discerning customers out there seeking high quality music from great artists, but it's just harder to find because of the noise and the extra competition.