Pentax K-3 vs Nikon D600

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVSteve

For those not in the know, the Pentax K-3 is their newest flagship 24mp DX offering.

This site has some pretty strong claims, but how valid are they? What do you think?Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon

I really like the Pentax K-5, K-5 II and the new K-3. Bodies, that is. They are built extremely well, offer the best bang for the buck & rate higher than their peers using the same sensors. My biggest problem is that I shoot zooms, and the miniscule weather resistant Pentax lens selection is very limited & the focusing motors are prone to failure (along with massive CA). I would have bought one a few years ago, but I simply can't get past the lens problems.

This will link to a Pentax forum and a discussion that really gets off the wall fast: Nice D600 vs K-3 Comparison Gallery - PentaxForums.com

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A friend of mine in Malta is on Pentax and he really likes them. He uses leica lenses with an adapter on his and he gets great IQ. He's also using the medium format 645D digital which is also a sharpness wonder.

​But the Nikon lenses are quite exceptional too and they keep their value.

Rick M

I looked at Pentax before Nikon (k1000 was my first SLR) but lens selection and curiosity swayed me to Nikon. Despite being a fan of both, I don't see one "sweeping" the other.

cadomniel

I had the chance to handle a K-3 and find it really nice, I think I prefer the ergonomics/handling to the Canon and the Nikon D7100.
Given the choice between D600 and K-3 I would go with a K-3 with all the issues D600 seems to have had. K-3 will produce just as good an image quality that can make large prints. The big advantage to Pentax is the smaller lightweight yet weather sealed bodies/lenses combo and the limited edition primes.

HotGates

Sorry but do not compare a crop camera to a FF, instead compare it to the Nikon D7100 which would be close but I would still choose the D7100.

dmc

So, in response to lenses only, Pentax has an excellent line of DX lenses, both prime and zoom. Nikon has a long way to go to match this line up. When it comes to FF lenses, Nikon wins hands down.

Comparing a crop sensor to FF seems a fools errand. Apples and oranges. I am an avowed Nikon shooter, but the K3 would not be a bad buy in my opinion.

cadomniel

I wish Nikon had an equivalent of the Pentax limited primes for their DX cameras. People often cite lens selection as the reason for sticking with Nikon/Canon but Pentax has plenty of good lenses in APS-C format and offers the limited primes which the other two can't match.

NVSteve

So, in response to lenses only, Pentax has an excellent line of DX lenses, both prime and zoom. Nikon has a long way to go to match this line up. When it comes to FF lenses, Nikon wins hands down.

Their primes are excellent. I wouldn't say their zooms are all that great, especially the non * versions. But, as I mentioned previously, their * zooms have a bad rap with SDM motor failure-probably similar in scope to all the D600 forum rants, from what I have gathered over the last couple of years. My biggest gripe with them is fairly simple: they have superb weather sealed bodies, but only a handful of weather sealed lenses. That's probably annoying for me as my previous system was all Olympus, and every single lens I had was weather sealed. I'd be a happy camper if Nikon could produce a body as sealed as the K-3 or K-5, along with lenses sealed to the extent of those from Olympus (the 4/3rds stuff, not micro 4/3rds).

Comparing a crop sensor to FF seems a fools errand. Apples and oranges. I am an avowed Nikon shooter, but the K3 would not be a bad buy in my opinion.

I don't get it either, unless it is simply to justify one's purchase into a non-full frame system. Forums are full of comparisons to full frame. The K3 is a fantastic little camera & I would certainly own one right now for certain outdoor activities were it not due to running into a brick wall with the lenses.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not following your point since FX lenses can be used with dx cameras. There is no restriction in using a Nikon 70-200mm zoom lens with a D7100 or any Dx DSLR. Nikon is not required to recreate a separate DX lens line-up. The way I look at it, It makes it easier to transition to FX, wouldn't you agree?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For those not in the know, the Pentax K-3 is their newest flagship 24mp DX offering.

This site has some pretty strong claims, but how valid are they? What do you think?Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon

I understand that this is an older thread, but the link is just a horrible way to compare picture quality since I am assuming that the images are jpg files. Any of the DSLR picture control can be customized and adjusted to suite your specific taste.

I agree that the D7100 would have been a better comparison.

BobLoblaw

Banned

I really like the Pentax K-5, K-5 II and the new K-3. Bodies, that is. They are built extremely well, offer the best bang for the buck & rate higher than their peers using the same sensors. My biggest problem is that I shoot zooms, and the miniscule weather resistant Pentax lens selection is very limited & the focusing motors are prone to failure (along with massive CA). I would have bought one a few years ago, but I simply can't get past the lens problems.

This will link to a Pentax forum and a discussion that really gets off the wall fast: Nice D600 vs K-3 Comparison Gallery - PentaxForums.com

I was a Nikon shooter when I first discovered digital photography, and now shooting with Pentax. I heard all this negative speak about Pentax and thought it was a bad brand. But when I sat down and actually researched the IQ and lenses I was shocked how good it is.

Those claims in the article are very acurate, the K-3 is appears to be out sharpening even the D800 and surely the D800e. Here is the Pentax nut Phototheology showing the K-5iis outsharpening and out doing (except at ISO 6400)the D800e: Nikon D800E vs Pentax K5 II Resolution Test part 1 - YouTube

Regarding zooms, there's plenty of zooms in the Pentax range and the af motor issue has been cleared up too. When I look into the lens choices in Pentax, I think I'm spoiled for choice, except at telephoto. But even if I was with Nikon, I couldn't afford its 70-200 2.8 and would have to get a Sigma or Tamron 70-200 2.8. So the comment that the Pentax lens range is very limiting is not true, and I'd find myself back at square one either way. Where there is an issue is that Tamron, Sigma and Tokina have some outstanding lenses which aren't available for Pentax yet ...... thats the only gripe. But there are alternatives which are equally great lenses. CA's too can be removed in post, and Pentax lenses are not inherently prone to CA's, but I do know of couple that need to stopped down. If you take the time to research the lenses on Lenstip, photozone and Pentaxforums, Pentax offers the best and sharpest range of crop sensor lenses. I believe Pentax didn't bother with full frame in fear of colapse, and instead focused on making one of the best crop sensored cameras and DX (DA) lens ranges.

Others on this thread think you shouldn't compare a crop sensor camera to a full frame camera. But people are online bragging how the D800 is knocking on the door of medium format, and thats a fair comparison. Before I had a Pentax, I researched and compared its IQ against its equivelants in Nikon, Canon and Sony, and EVERY Pentax camera won by a large margin IMO. When I compared the Pentax cameras IQ against full frame Nikons, Canons and Sony, they were beating certain FF models and matching others, except by ISO 6400. (Now most people will try to shoot at ISO 100 90% of the time, and avoid using high
ISO's. Plus its not worth spending $2000 extra to get ISO 6400 [its a false economy]).

As a Pentax shooter, I have no real need for a full frame camera because my IQ is bettering and matching the IQ of certain full frame Nikon and Canon models. But knowing me, I'll probably get the upcoming Pentax full frame model. My current Pentax's IQ is like film, and equivalent Nikon, Canon and Sony IQ look digital. The AF is outstanding for what I do, and the K-3's AF is now inline with the D7100, not that it matters to my style.

Plus some of the sharpest lenses available (from third party manufacturers) are for crop cameras, and are significantly superior to their full frame professional counterparts. So if you actually research lenses, some of the best are crop sensor only, and you can't use them on FF except in DX mode. Then with crop body, you can use FX (FA) lenses, there's no real point to full frame. Full frame is just a rip off for consumers, and a status symbol for pro's.

Having been biased in the past and a Nikon fanboy, I'm actually shocked that I've turned 360 degrees to a brand I once mocked and derided based on myths and baseless bias in magazines, and online sources.

LK1:1photoGRAPHICS: Nikon D800 and Pentax K3 / Zeiss 50mm f1.4 and Pentax 43mm f1.9

Rick M

I think if you know exactly what you want and the Pentax fits the bill, it's the right choice for you. My ever changing desires might have created an issue for me turning over Pentax lenses and bodies. I do not think they will resell as well as Canon/Nikon. If you buy and hold for years that won't matter. Now you've peaked my interest is something else again:).

NVSteve

Regarding zooms, there's plenty of zooms in the Pentax range and the af motor issue has been cleared up too.

I'm assuming that since you quoted me, this was directed at my comments. However, I said "the miniscule weather resistant Pentax lens selection is very limited," not zooms in general. The better zoom lenses, which are the DA* series, are the lenses most people would be looking at to get a weather sealed lens onto their weather sealed body. The af motor issue to which I am referring is the SDM motor failure of DA* zooms, which has NOT been cleared up as many posts on Pentax forums indicate. This obviously does not mean every single lens will have the failure, much like not every D600 body will show oil spots. For those who enjoy shooting primes or the non-weather sealed zooms, I think Pentax is a fantastic option.

The only other comment I'll make concerns the CA on a number of lenses. I've downloaded thousands of photos from the K-5 to the K-3, the majority of which are RAWs. I do agree that CA can be corrected for in post, but some of the CA I've seen from a few of the Pentax lenses is absolutely insane & can't be fully eradicated. I won't comment on anything else (like "full frame is just a rip off for consumers, and a status symbol for pros"), but let me just say thanks for posting up your opinion.

Geoffc

Having been biased in the past and a Nikon fanboy, I'm actually shocked that I've turned 360 degrees to a brand I once mocked and derided based on myths and baseless bias in magazines, and online sources.

Surely if you've turned 360 degrees you're back with Nikon!!

With regards to image quality, most modern DSLRs are very good and brand choice is down to other factors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The thing is that forums in general will feed the need for best in many many users. One must also remember that if you spend all your money for equipment and then can't afford to go on vacations to use the newly gotten camera, lens or other, then one could get better pictures if they went on vacations or photo shoot trip with the equipment they had before they spent all their money.

I think if you practice, you can get better pictures with lower quality equipment than if you just get the best and don't have a clue on how to use it or even how to post process your shots.

dmc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD I'm not following your point since FX lenses can be used with dx cameras. There is no restriction in using a Nikon 70-200mm zoom lens with a D7100 or any Dx DSLR. Nikon is not required to recreate a separate DX lens line-up. The way I look at it, It makes it easier to transition to FX, wouldn't you agree?
You are correct, you are not following my point. Nikon has a very poor selection of DX lenses, slapping a. 2 pound lens on a DX body is not the same as using one of Pentax's superb limited DX lenses. I love Nikon and it is my camera of choice, but that does not preclude them from having a weak DX line-up. Do you now follow my point?

As far as transitioning to FX, many many, many shooters will never buy an FX camera. Not all are able to dip into their trust funds to afford the cost.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You are correct, you are not following my point. Nikon has a very poor selection of DX lenses, slapping a. 2 pound lens on a DX body is not the same as using one of Pentax's superb limited DX lenses. I love Nikon and it is my camera of choice, but that does not preclude them from having a weak DX line-up. Do you now follow my point?.
So which specific "weak" DX lens are you pertaining to and which "superb" Pentax lens dominates the Nikon version in what ways?
As far as transitioning to FX, many many, many shooters will never buy an FX camera. Not all are able to dip into their trust funds to afford the cost.
This sounds more like a "personal" financial issue and I find it very little relevance to the topic. It's like saying many drivers will never buy a "Lexus" so they just have to buy the consumer model Toyota? The way I see it, if you can't afford it, then you don't have to buy it. Stick to what you can afford.

Horoscope Fish

The D610 will kill it !!!!!!!!!!! It's DX vs FX !!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't be so sure. Digital Camera Review says the K-3 pretty much spanks the D600, then steals its lunch money:

Digital Camera Review said:
... Our testing shows that the Pentax K-3 swept the Nikon D600 in almost every image we took. Even at high ISOs the Pentax held its own against the full frame sensor!

Read the full story here: Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the findings but it certainly is food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.