Next prime lens to buy after 50mm 1.4 - 85/1.4g or 35/1.4g?

joyess

I live on my d700 and 50mm combo, but want to expand my view - which way should I go wider with the 35mm or more macro with the 85mm? I shoot mainly family and lifestyle/ in home family sessions.

Thanks!

home » Joyess Images

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Welcome to the forum.

I would explore a portrait lens such as the Nikon 85mm f1.8G lens.

For wider prime option, the 28mm f1.8G lens would provide a better lens for group shots.

§am

Personally for family/group indoors, I'd look at the 28mm f/1.8G

However, the 18-35mm f/1.8 IS also worth looking at if you're willing to consider a non Nikon lens

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
If price is an issue, with a little bit of effort you can find a very nice used 85/1.8D which would be great for portraits as Glenn suggested.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I,d try to find a decent 35 f2 AIs and an 85 1.8 D. Probably the same price as the 28 1.8G by itself. Don't be afraid of manual focus with the D700.

Mfrankfort

I think for portraits your going to want to stay above 85... although I don't think anyone is agreeing with me. You get some weird effects using a wide angle, and have to get really close to the subjects. Just my opinion. I've heard great things about the 85mm though. Or just get the 70-200... lol. That never fails

aroy

For group shots you need a bit of DOF, hence fast lenses are of not much utility as you will be shooting at f4 or more. If you are not averse to manual focus, try the 28mmf2.8AIS. This is one of the best 28mm by Nikon, and still made by Nikon.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I'd get the 85 1.8G and the 35 f/2 and also a 28mm f2.8 for the price. the 1.8g leaves nothing to be desired as far as image quality is concerned but AF is nothing to write home about (its quite slow on the 50 1.8/1.4G and the new 58 1.4g as well-the AFD is lightning quick). contrasty and sharp as hell wide open. if you really need a 35 1.4, the sigma is stellar in every way.

Last edited: