Freelancing

John P

Thank you.
Yes I will get regular assignments. And will get paid for my photos.

Excited to finally get an opportunity.

BackdoorArts

Best of luck to you. It's a precarious job at the moment as more full time news photographers are being let go and folks like yourself are given their assignments at a much reduced cost to the paper. Not saying it to make you feel bad, but it's just how they have to operate in the current economic climate. Just make sure you're serious looking at a career path other than photojournalist. I know a bunch of them that have been working for 25 years in the field who are now searching for second careers.

John P

Best of luck to you. It's a precarious job at the moment as more full time news photographers are being let go and folks like yourself are given their assignments at a much reduced cost to the paper. Not saying it to make you feel bad, but it's just how they have to operate in the current economic climate. Just make sure you're serious looking at a career path other than photojournalist. I know a bunch of them that have been working for 25 years in the field who are now searching for second careers.

No offennse taken. I already know all of this. This particular paper has 2 full time photographers. And keeps a freelancer for what they can't get to.

I have no plans of making it a full time job. I am a sheetmetal worker by day. With too good of benefits to quite. The photography is a side buisness for me. But being a photographer for a newspaper. Was a dream of mine growin up. Just excited to have the opportunity. No matter how small.

Browncoat

I had a lot of fun freelancing for my local newspaper. Started out doing an internship, and it eventually led to stringer work.

Be sure to keep track of what you submit to them so that you're paid the correct amount.