Awards Clarification?

Browncoat

Just curious as to what the criteria for these awards are...
  • Photo challenge winner (Has won a photo challenge)
  • Multiple photo challenge wins (Has won multiple photo challenges)
...as I seem to be missing these awards from my profile.

Some previous wins:

​And I know there are others, those were just on the first couple pages.

I've seen some profiles, like Helene's where she has only one award (Multiple winner). But other profiles, like Misti Adam, who have both awards (Single + Multiple winner). Then there's people like me, who don't have it showing at all. Just wondering if there's an issue with the system?

Last edited:

carguy

Sounds like a 'flair' issue :)

Attachments

• officespace_flair.jpg
    officespace_flair.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 67

Rick M

Yeah some is automated now. When it first started I think he had to catch up current users manually. My guess is he only did that on folks that were active at that time. I believe you were hibernating back then :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yes, these are the only ones that are not automated. The way it's setup is kind of a pain since I'm the only one that can add them (the interface for it is terrible). I'd like to have something that's a little more automatic.

Dave_W

The Dude
Sounds like a 'flair' issue :)

You know, this requirement for conspicuous achievement is a very Western notion. When I was in college I studied Judo and then continued afterword and the interesting thing about Judo is that it uses only 3 belt assignment - white, brown and black. In the art of Judo your belt contains all your experience and thus you never wash it and you always use the same belt. As a result, the longer you study Judo the darker will become your belt. After about a year I noticed my belt was a light shade of brown and by the 3rd year it was a rich dark brown. I suspect all Eastern martial arts were once the same.

However, here in the West do we have green, purple, orange, mauve, etc., colors allowing everyone to see quickly see what "caste" each person was in. In the East such things did not exists before Westernization. It's differences like this that make sociology such an interesting subject.

grandpaw

I happen to have a black belt in karate myself and instructed several years. I hate to say it but I feel that in some schools the only reason they use many colors and have more tests is because they charge and make money on each test, so more the merrier. Rank tests are a big money maker.

Browncoat

I studied Kajukenbo, which isn't a very well known martial art. I wasn't in a traditional instruction school, either...it was just one on one. While there are recognized belt progressions, we didn't utilize them. Kajukenbo is disallowed at most events because there isn't much focus on competitive striking. No flair. Joint-breaking, low blows, eye gouges...not exactly fun for the whole family to watch.

And this isn't even about recognition. I figured whatever the system was, it was put in place during my hiatus and didn't think much about it until I started noticing that some people had both awards and others had only the one. Figured something might be broken.

Roy1961

Contributor
my daughter gets her level one brown belt on friday, 5 more $50 testings until black belt, then i think they are $100 a test?

RockyNH_RIP

Yes, these are the only ones that are not automated. The way it's setup is kind of a pain since I'm the only one that can add them (the interface for it is terrible). I'd like to have something that's a little more automatic.

Well John, if you go in to Manual edit... Have a single challenge victory... :)

Pat in NH

fotojack

Back in the early '70's, I studied martial arts under the watchful eye of my sensei, Pete Siringano. Its called Koshindo Kempo. Took me 5 years, but I got my 2nd Dan black belt. It's nice to see we have other martial artists in the group here. :)

grandpaw

I can tell you that the only way I can kick higher than my head any more is to lay down first. I will leave you with one of the words of wisdom I always tried to get ingrained in my students heads and this is it. "You will never lose a fight you don't get in". You may think that is a silly statement but if you think about it a little bit it will make sense. My words of wisdom for today!

Carolina Photo Guy

I can tell you that the only way I can kick higher than my head any more is to lay down first. I will leave you with one of the words of wisdom I always tried to get ingrained in my students heads and this is it. "You will never lose a fight you don't get in". You may think that is a silly statement but if you think about it a little bit it will make sense. My words of wisdom for today!

My grandfather's words of wisdom that have stayed with me all these years...

You ain't gotta win all your fights, but you better make sure that BOTH of you knowed you was in one!

fotojack

Yeah, I couldn't kick my way out of a wet paper bag now! :) And my sensei told us basically the same thing, grandpaw. If you can stay out of a fight, it's the smartest move you'll ever make.