What feature would you like to see added to the site?

What feature would you like to see added to the site?

• More integrated & comprehensive product database

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better photo gallery software

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • EXIF data on pictures (like dpreview)

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Less ads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More photo challenges w/ a more organized system to house them

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Browncoat

More & better photo challenge setup

As the creator of the Weekly Challenge, I'm disappointed with the state it has been in for awhile now. A monthly challenge is too infrequent, and having behind the scenes judging defeats the entire purpose of a community. There is more than enough staff to go back to a weekly challenge setup.

If I could vote for a second, it would be EXIF data on pictures. Many of us use a browser extension to view EXIF data to help others, but it would be nice if that info were readily accessible by everyone for learning and teaching purposes.

RockyNH_RIP

I went with EXIF data but for what it is worth.. would like to see more frequent Challenges, like every 2 weeks.. I know there is a lot of work involved, I think the shorter time would reduce entries and if needed, only allow 2 per user.

Anyway... back to work!

Pat in NH

Roy1961

Contributor
i went with photo challenges.

would it be possible to have a drop down field for the EXIF Data when we add pictures?? might get to annoying if adding a lot of pictures though?

Michael J.

I went with EXIF data but for what it is worth.. would like to see more frequent Challenges, like every 2 weeks.. I know there is a lot of work involved, I think the shorter time would reduce entries and if needed, only allow 2 per user.

Anyway... back to work!

Pat in NH

I voted for Exif cos it helps to improve myself and maybe others as well.

Besides the Exif I agree with Pat except about the entries. I think one entry only is better and a great right challenge.

Ironwood

I clicked on EXIF and challenges and hit vote now without looking, so I guess technically I just voted for EXIF.

I think if the challenges were more frequent, one entry for each challenge would be enough, I mean you can take as many photos as you like during the time frame, just pick your best one and upload it before the cutoff time.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I guess what I was looking for is for the site to display larger images and shrink them if they are too large for web browsing. I like the one from nikonplanet.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I too voted for EXIF data. I use Opanda to view EXIF data, but it is a pain...ESPECIALLY when there isn't any EXIF data present--then it's a waste of time checking. :mad:

This is my first month entering the monthly challenge so I'm not sure if I'd like a more frequent challenge or not. As others mentioned, perhaps limiting the number of entries to 1 or 2 per person would be a good idea and make us more attentive to what we are submitting--no mulligans--no deleting and changing our minds to upload something different. Personally I think we'd become even more critical of our own work if we were limited to just one submission.

WhiteLight

Haha..
This is like going to a party and having to choose if you want women or alcohol or music :p
can't do without any of them can we

but since this is out in the open, i have a feeling these are the things that will be coming up in the near future-

EXIF data
Photo challenges
Gallery Improvement

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
In addition to a possible change in the monthly photo challenge, how about a monthly how-to thread similar to a tutorial? A certain effect can be taught and the remainder of the thread used for people to post their results. It wouldn't have to be judged; instead it can be a learning tool for those who aren't familiar with creating the effect being taught.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
​So more ads it is!!

j/k - I'll have to look into the EXIF thing more. It's going to have to be custom. (if you don't know, most of the software we use in addition to vbulletin are free or pre-made addons)

Regarding the photo challenges; they have been an issue from the beginning with organizing how they are posted, voting on the winner(s), and then displaying the winners. Forum software alone wasn't made to handle this fluidly. Another solution to this may be moving to gallery software that has contest and voting built in, but I have yet to see something that does this in a clean way.