What feature would you like to see added to the site?

What feature would you like to see added to the site?

• More integrated & comprehensive product database

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better photo gallery software

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • EXIF data on pictures (like dpreview)

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Less ads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More photo challenges w/ a more organized system to house them

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
In addition to a possible change in the monthly photo challenge, how about a monthly how-to thread similar to a tutorial? A certain effect can be taught and the remainder of the thread used for people to post their results. It wouldn't have to be judged; instead it can be a learning tool for those who aren't familiar with creating the effect being taught.

That's a great idea! We would just need to find people that would be willing to run such threads.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
That's a great idea! We would just need to find people that would be willing to run such threads.

If something like this isn't able to be implemented due to time constraints or involvement of appropriate people, I also wondered if an existing YouTube or Adorama TV video tutorial could be used instead. There are many excellent video tutorials available, but if a monthly thread could be added so people could post their results, it would be fun. Or possibly alternating an existing video tutorial with a tutorial created by someone here on a monthly basis?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If something like this isn't able to be implemented due to time constraints or involvement of appropriate people, I also wondered if an existing YouTube or Adorama TV video tutorial could be used instead. There are many excellent video tutorials available, but if a monthly thread could be added so people could post their results, it would be fun. Or possibly alternating an existing video tutorial with a tutorial created by someone here on a monthly basis?

Also a good idea!

Claudia!

I love this site. If I had an option, I'd like to see the gallery improved. Take away the borders from the photos. As for the challenges, I'd love to participate more. Is it possible to create albums rather than threads for such a thing (or a mix)? Such as FB challenges, everyones photos are compiled in an album and everyone likes their favorite photo. I don't mind the threads but they tend to get very long. That is great overall but it just needs to be more organized. It may just be easier to go through an album than threads. Another option would be to link a challenge to the FB page or create a FB group just for nikonites members. Not everyone likes FB so this may be an issue. At the same time, I am sure you want to keep traffic within this site rather than FB. As for the "how-to's" by Hark. I think this is a good idea. With all the admins, maybe everyone can take on one month. They can sign up for their month, and run either a monthly, bi-weekly or weekly how-to's. This will take the stress off of just one person. Have the admins who have signed up to run the how-to's, judge the entries and pick their favorite. As well, maybe have a admin favorite (based on the 12 elements of merit) and a regular member favorite. This will help reduce tension. Hope this helps.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I love this site. If I had an option, I'd like to see the gallery improved. Take away the borders from the photos. As for the challenges, I'd love to participate more. Is it possible to create albums rather than threads for such a thing (or a mix)? Such as FB challenges, everyones photos are compiled in an album and everyone likes their favorite photo. I don't mind the threads but they tend to get very long. That is great overall but it just needs to be more organized. It may just be easier to go through an album than threads. Another option would be to link a challenge to the FB page or create a FB group just for nikonites members. Not everyone likes FB so this may be an issue. At the same time, I am sure you want to keep traffic within this site rather than FB. As for the "how-to's" by Hark. I think this is a good idea. With all the admins, maybe everyone can take on one month. They can sign up for their month, and run either a monthly, bi-weekly or weekly how-to's. This will take the stress off of just one person. Have the admins who have signed up to run the how-to's, judge the entries and pick their favorite. As well, maybe have a admin favorite (based on the 12 elements of merit) and a regular member favorite. This will help reduce tension. Hope this helps.

I'd like to second Claudia's suggestion about having the Assignment posted into a Gallery instead of a thread. There could be a thread about the assignment, but the assignment itself would be pictures only, no words. It would then be a question of selection (members or mods, I don't mind) and posting to a new gallery for that month's selected shots. All monthly selected shots could then be duplicated or databased on our Nikonites best of gallery. But no FB if possible, unless it's a photo gallery only and only the selected shots would be posted and only mods would have access to post.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I love this site. If I had an option, I'd like to see the gallery improved. Take away the borders from the photos. As for the challenges, I'd love to participate more. Is it possible to create albums rather than threads for such a thing (or a mix)? Such as FB challenges, everyones photos are compiled in an album and everyone likes their favorite photo. I don't mind the threads but they tend to get very long. That is great overall but it just needs to be more organized. It may just be easier to go through an album than threads. Another option would be to link a challenge to the FB page or create a FB group just for nikonites members. Not everyone likes FB so this may be an issue. At the same time, I am sure you want to keep traffic within this site rather than FB.

When going to a thread's main sub forum (in this case, the Monthly Assignments sub forum), you will see all the threads listed in that sub forum. Next to the Weathered thread is an image icon, and when clicking on it, it brings up all the images contained within the thread. It's great for viewing the images, but when either right-clicking or left-clicking on an image, it opens up the entire thread. There is no way to directly like a photo when using this option.

If it isn't possible to create some type of album as Claudia! suggests, would it be possible to make changes so when images are accessed through the image icon, each image can be liked directly from there? It also doesn't display which images are liked by which people (and thus we don't know if we liked a particular image unless we go back to the entire thread). Just wondering if some type of change can be made to the existing option of viewing only the images in a thread.

WhiteLight

Just pinging to check what the outcome on this is :)
What goodies are we getting!
Been looking at the EXIF format on dpreview, must say it looks great!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I would love to have a cleaner system for doing the challenges. The problem with putting them in the Gallery is it's hard to organize everything. We could make a thread and upload to the gallery only, but there will still be a bit of a disconnect. That and the like system doesn't extend to the gallery, although there is a rating system.

Claudia, I did remove the borders from the images. That was actually an error.

Putting the like button on the image view may work. That system needs to be cleaned up as well. It's a little cumbersome.

We're currently planning something with a how-to or tutorial/article type forum.

Getting EXIF on the images is something I'd like to do as soon as the budget allows for it. Unfortunately it's not something that I could code myself, and requires some custom work.

RockyNH_RIP

RE: EXIF

John, is there anyone on the forum maybe who could code (as a volunteer or minimal pricing)??? Just thinking out loud. Maybe put out a post asking....

Pat in NH

WhiteLight

I would love to have a cleaner system for doing the challenges. The problem with putting them in the Gallery is it's hard to organize everything. We could make a thread and upload to the gallery only, but there will still be a bit of a disconnect. That and the like system doesn't extend to the gallery, although there is a rating system.

Claudia, I did remove the borders from the images. That was actually an error.

Putting the like button on the image view may work. That system needs to be cleaned up as well. It's a little cumbersome.

We're currently planning something with a how-to or tutorial/article type forum.

Getting EXIF on the images is something I'd like to do as soon as the budget allows for it. Unfortunately it's not something that I could code myself, and requires some custom work.

Since you are looking at starting a new tutorial/ learning section, van were also have a lighting section?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2