My D800 viewfinder is very dirty, please help

lohithk

Hi All,
Really need your help here. :apologetic:
I bought a used D800 from a friend, I just got a chance to use it today, and when I tried to use the camera in bright light I found the following problems.

1.) The viewfinder has black marks towards the edges, mainly towards the edges on all the sides.
2.) The viewfinder shows a Magenta tinge, things look darker also.

When I spoke about this to my friend, he told me that the top Mirror above the Mirror in front of the sensor has this problem in the D800 and Nikon knows about this. He even was very confident and asked me to check with Nikon Service Center. I wanted to check from you guys if you are aware of these things.

Also regarding the Magenta tinge in the viewfinder he told me that this also happens on FX bodies, if you view from a specific angle.

I have also noticed that while viewing through the viewfinder, I can see reflections of the the LED view.

I am worried that my friend has cheated me.
Please let me know if these things can be fixed easily. I am really very worried, as this isnt exactly a cheap camera.

Also coming to shutter count , my friend mentioned that on some bodies the photo count starts from 5000, and the first photo taken starts at 5001.

Any inputs will greatly help me.

​Thanks

fotojack

Your "friend" cheated you. Get your money back and find a better friend. What your "friend" told you is all lies.

By the way, it would be nice to know where you're from, as it helps us to help you in so many ways.

lohithk

Your "friend" cheated you. Get your money back and find a better friend. What your "friend" told you is all lies.

By the way, it would be nice to know where you're from, as it helps us to help you in so many ways.
Am from India.
Not sure, if he will be willing to return my money.
I will talk to him tomorrow. :(

lohithk

I just spoke to my friend and this is what he told me.
After he got back from the Africa trip, he sent the camera for sensor cleaning.
During the cleaning process, the cleaning liquid fell on the Mirror at the top and this has caused the black marks on the mirror.
Have you guys every heard of anything like this.

Carolina Photo Guy

Am from India.
Not sure, if he will be willing to return my money.
I will talk to him tomorrow. :(
When you talk to your "friend"' you may want to keep his attention on the error of his ways by lightly tapping the side of his head with a very heavy prybar. After three or four "taps", I'm sure he will feel ashamed of his actions and will want to make it right with you.
​JMTCW

lohithk

The reason I trusted this Individual is he is a very highly respected Photographer.
One of the most respected in India, and am sure he is very respected in the Bird photographers circle.
He is very well known to several Bird photographers around the world.I know for sure he is personally known to several top UK bird photographers. He is also Author of several bird books in India.
In all due respect to him, I wouldnt want to bring out his name.
I just hope this problem gets settled amicably.

lohithk

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

The guy is not real friend. Shutter counts start at 0. I don't think Nikon would allow the cleaning liquid to fall on the Mirror and not clean it off.

Thanks Don.
I have updated my profile.

I have Informed my friend that what he mentioned doesnt happen to all D800 bodies.
But what is surprising he still says the camera is fine.
Thing is he is an amazing photographer, and quiet famous too.
Still unable to beleive that he would do this. :(

WhiteLight

Doesn't matter if he's famous or not, get your money back & save up for a new D800
Have you heard anywhere that famous people can't be cheats?
Oh wait, most times those are the cheats :p

lohithk

Yesterday, I went to my friend's house and he very gracefully took the camera.
He told me that , it was his mistake that he did not inform me about the camera, and the camera was actually in good condition.
All it requires is Mirror replacement which might cost about 4000 INR (Indian Rupee), or about 75$
He also took back the camera and returned my money. No hassles at all.
He definitely was very genuine about maintaining his reputation and took it back.
He also told me that he was willing to come with me to the NPS service centre, here in Bangalore, India and get it checked and only if I am comfortable , only then take the camera.
I might as well just give it a try, bcos INR has depreciated against the dollar and Nikon just increased the prices here in India.

Watch72

Forget about doing that. Take the money and look elsewhere for your D800.
I do not know your friend, but from your description of the event, I have my doubts.
But giving him the benefit of doubts - just let the whole thing pass and look for your camera somewhere else.

Just my two cents worth of thoughts.
Do not equate "being famous" as "being honest".
There are many famous "well known" personalities that have taken liberty of their position to do bad things.
Just read the news and you will find examples.

papa2jaja

lohithk, I can't tell you what you should do, but if I understand this correctly your friend has substantially changed his story from at first to now. Maybe it's better to do business with someone who is not your friend, and keep your friend as a friend?

Dave_W

The Dude
On the positive side, you can either clean the mirror and viewfinder or have the mirror replaced and more importantly, neither will affect the images the camera produces. Assuming, that is, that the light meter is not negatively affected by this issue. To that point are the images either over or under exposed?

lohithk

On the positive side, you can either clean the mirror and viewfinder or have the mirror replaced and more importantly, neither will affect the images the camera produces. Assuming, that is, that the light meter is not negatively affected by this issue. To that point are the images either over or under exposed?
The images are absolutely fantastic, no issues at all.
But like the forum members said, I have returned it now and am saving for a new D800, or a D800 i good condition.