Single Image Tonemapping

Rick M

I thought I'd bring this up as some members are experimenting with it and I thought it would make a useful discussion. Tonemapping is not HDR (you cannot increase the dynamic range by manipulating a single image, that's another discussion), however it is an option in most HDR programs. I happen to like tonemapping but it has limitations and in many cases, leads to unnatural halos, gray skies and backgrounds.

Some shots are very receptive to it. The first shot is post processed normally and the second was tonemapped in Photomatix Light ($39). Generally, when you manipulate anything there is a cost, in this instance the clouds are a bit blown out. Feel free to comment/critique on any shots in this thread. Comparisons don't belong in critique, so I posted here. Please do not post HDR images here. Feel free to post your tonemapped shots, but be advised they will be open to critique in this thread. Be honest and polite, they go well together. An example to start us off,

Normal

DSC_4503_7237.jpg

Tonemapped

DSC_4503_7237_tonemapped-2.jpg

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Rick I'm curious to see what Topaz Adjust would do with that image as a comparison. With your permission, I'd like to give it a whirl but I want to respect your Image Editing choice.

Nathan Lanni

I thought I'd bring this up as some members are experimenting with it and I thought it would make a useful discussion. Tonemapping is not HDR (you cannot increase the dynamic range by manipulating a single image, that's another discussion), however it is an option in most HDR programs. I happen to like tonemapping but it has limitations and in many cases, leads to unnatural halos, gray skies and backgrounds.

Some shots are very receptive to it. The first shot is post processed normally and the second was tonemapped in Photomatix. Generally, when you manipulate anything there is a cost, in this instance the clouds are a bit blown out. Feel free to comment/critique on any shots in this thread. Comparisons don't belong in critique, so I posted here. Please do not post HDR images here. Feel free to post your tonemapped shots, but be advised they will be open to critique in this thread. Be honest and polite, they go well together. An example to start us off,

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the post.

Is it me or is the most noticeable difference in the sky?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
​Go right ahead Eduard!

I imported into LR5, edited in Topaz Adjust 5 and applied the HDR Collection: Medium Pop Smooth preset, then exported with my default settings which apply a frame. I thought Topaz Adjust did a pretty nice job.

DSC_4503_7237-1.jpg

Rick's Original Tone mapped Version with Frame:

DSC_4503_7237_tonemapped-2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My wife asked what I was working on and when I showed her she asked "where is that"? So. . . where is this from?

Rick M

BTW, as a side note, my inner-harbor shot was using the Nikon Macro 105 2.8g VR, really loving the versatility of that lens!